Windows 7 XP Virtualisation & Hardware

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Is there really no way to use the soundcard of the host machine in virtual XP?

Regards,

Cheemag.

Virtual machines have no direct correspondence to any real hardware including the sound card. Therefore, they use virtual sound devices, typ. 16-bit. which should be enough for stereo.

I haven't heard of anyone to enable their sound blaster in a virtual machine. But in theory it could be quite possible through the virtual USB 2.0 (external sound card).

:tongue:
Virtual machines have no direct correspondence to any real hardware including the sound card. Therefore, they use virtual sound devices, typ. 16-bit. which should be enough for stereo.

Not strictly true. I can access all the drives of the host machine and their files.

I haven't heard of anyone to enable their sound blaster in a virtual machine. But in theory it could be quite possible through the virtual USB 2.0 (external sound card).
I have a simple USB sound card. Could I use this? If so, anyone know how?

Cheemag said:
Not strictly true. I can access all the drives of the host machine and their files.

What do you mean?

Cheemag said:
I have a simple USB sound card. Could I use this? If so, anyone know how?

Does your sound card has the same USB version as the virtual machine? In your virtual pc, see if the card is listed in control panael > device manager. Again, I haven't heard anyone enable real sound card in a virtual machine.

Virtual machines have no direct correspondence to any real hardware including the sound card.

I keep hearing this, but it isn't true. The drives are accessible.

Therefore, they use virtual sound devices, typ. 16-bit. which should be enough for stereo.
Unfortunately I need to use LineIn or Mic which isn't possible with a virtual card.

I'll look into that, as it seems the only possible hope of getting external audio.
Thanks.

What do you mean?

I mean that I can access (on my machine at least) all the drives of the host machine from within the XP virtualisation, so saying that the host's hardware is inaccessible is wrong, or at least needs to be qualified.

Does your sound card has the same USB version as the virtual machine?

What do you mean? The sound card of the host machine is a Realtek clone, not a Soundblaster. The USB sound 'card' I have is a Terratec Aureon Dual USB device. It doesn't show up in the virtual Control Panel as far as I recall.

In your virtual pc, see if the card is listed in control panael > device manager. Again, I haven't heard anyone enable real sound card in a virtual machine.

I'll have a look next time I go into the VM. I can live in hope ...

cybercore said:
Virtual machines have no direct correspondence to any real hardware including the sound card.
Cheemag said:
I keep hearing this, but it isn't true. The drives are accessible.

Just because drives are accessible doesn't automatically warrant being able to initialize real hardware inside virtual machine, you cannot enable the real hardware with those files.

Yes, you can access files of the real machine over virtual network, but you cannot use the real hardware however hard you try, as a virtual system doesn't detect your video and audio cards. It uses virtual devices instead. The only real devices you can sometimes enable in a virtual machine are USB/COM/LPT.

Of course this may change at some point in the future.

cybercore said:
Cheemag said:
I'll look into that, as it seems the only possible hope of getting external audio.
Thanks.

Good luck. Try virtual box and wmware for USB 2.0. If Aureon Dual USB is the audio device in your real PC, unfortunately you won't be able to initialize it in vm.

Best Wishes.

Just because drives are accessible doesn't automatically warrant being able to initialize real hardware inside virtual machine, you cannot enable the real hardware with those files.

Yes, you can access files of the real machine over virtual network, but you cannot use the real hardware however hard you try, as a virtual system doesn't detect your video and audio cards. It uses virtual devices instead. The only real devices you can sometimes enable in a virtual machine are USB/COM/LPT.

Of course this may change at some point in the future.

Good luck. Try virtual box and wmware for USB 2.0. If Aureon Dual USB is the audio device in your real PC, unfortunately you won't be able to initialize it in vm.

Best Wishes.

It works! It works!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've just copied a very important and costly programme (which won't run in Windows-7) from the CD drive D: in the virtual machine to the C: drive of the virtual machine. I then activated the USB audio device (a USB sound 'card') via the drop-down menu at the top of the XP window.

Control Panel>Sounds shows the USB sound device along with the virtual Soundblaster. The programme mentioned above, which processes external audio via Line-In (and the system sounds) work perfectly. Yipee! ! No Stereo-Mixer or What-You-Hear, but I can do without these.

This situation can't be unique, others must have been able to do this (?)

So XP Virtualisation in Windows-7 can most definitely use host hardware (to date: HDDs, CD/DVDs, sound cards).

I can't speak for virtual OSs other than the supplied XP.

Cheemag said:
It works! It works!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've just copied a very important and costly programme (which won't run in Windows-7) from the CD drive D: in the virtual machine to the C: drive of the virtual machine. I then activated the USB audio device (a USB sound 'card') via the drop-down menu at the top of the XP window.

Glad if it works. Note it sooner makes me happy than dissapoints me, especially that I had said a chance it was possible to enable it through USB port:

cybercore said:
It could be quite possible through the virtual USB 2.0 (external sound card)

If Aureon Dual USB is the audio device in your real PC, unfortunately you won't be able to initialize it in vm.

Glad if it works. Note it sooner makes me happy than dissapoints me,

especially that I had said a chance it was possible to enable it through USB port:

If Aureon Dual USB is the audio device in your real PC, unfortunately you won't be able to initialize it in vm

Well, let me make you even happier: the audio device is indeed a Terratec Aureon Dual USB device. I assure you it works!

Back