Windows 7 zip file download error IE 8

MadRukus

Not all files but some zip files that I download upon opening I get a Windows cannot open the folder The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid but I get the same file using Firefox and it opens fine w/o error. Also when saving there is a file size difference in IE it's much smaller then it is supposed to be. Is there some type of fix for this issue?

Last edited:
Hi MadRukus,
have you tried 7zip? It's one of the best out there and is totally free.

7-Zip

I haven't tried 7-Zip thank you for the suggestion kemical will download now. But I still wonder why this is happening. Is this a common issue w/ IE8

Hi Rukus,
to be honest I'm unsure why it's happening in IE 8 and the default zip utility.. We haven't had many reports of this happening if any.. If your still getting problems with 7zip then please post back.

I tried the 7zip and still same issue w/ IE8 tested the same file on my XP pc using IE8 and does the same thing so don't think it's a zip utility issue. Something to do with my IE8 because others download the same file w/o any issues. When using Firefox the file opens fine. Is there a way to reinstall IE? Thanks for the help.

Hmm.. weird. Ok to re-install IE you need to open the control panel and navigate to Programs, Programs and Features and the look for 'Turn windows features on or off'. Click that and you'll see where you can uncheck IE to un-install. I'd then reboot and reverse the procedure. If that still doesn't work then scan for malware ect..

It's weird because this doesn't happen to all zip files only some and the files it does happen on I tried on all 3 pcs I have one running 7 and the other 2 on XP one has a fresh install but using IE8 and all error. Using Firefox the file does work. I tried the uninstall and it still does the same thing, do have an antivirus but scanning right now w/ the MS malicious software removal tool. Anyhow I appreciate the help kemical will update if scanning comes up w/ any malware.

Microsofts Security Essentials is a really good app and recent data has shown it to be one of the best free security apps there is.. I also run 'Ad-aware' alongside for spyware ect.. Have you tried disabling any plug-ins you have running in IE?

Thanks for the suggestions, might have to try the ad aware out. I just ran the MS malicious software tool and it came up clean. The only thing I have added on is the developers tool but had this installed prior to the issue.

The only other thing I can think of for the moment is if you send me a link to one of these zip files and see if I have the same issues?

Thanks Rukus. I tried the file using IE and Chrome and had no problems using either...
What about your installation of 7.. Is it a clean install or an upgrade?

I was hoping it wouldn't work, this is a clean install. Will just have to reinstall. Thanks for all the help kemical. Was trying to avoid a reinstall but I guess it should fix any issues starting clean.

Your very welcome Rukus and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Please post on the outcome of your re-install if you can.. :)

Yes why not.. Finding the solution is always a better outcome.

I wonder if your security app could at fault? I don't know the one you mentioned a great deal but if it was say 'Norton' I'd have no qualms about suggesting this..

I forgot to mention.. Have you run the windows update utility lately as there may be updates for IE and compatibility.

Last edited:
The weird thing is it happens on 3 of my pcs 2 desktop on win 7 and xp and 1 laptop on xp 2 have the same AV and 1 w/ a different AV app Avast. Just don't under stand why all 3 have the same issue. My laptop has a pretty fresh install so I tried uninstalling some apps that I thought might be conflicting that I have installed on the other pcs and it did not help. I believe I do have the latest updates on all my pcs.

Back