Windows 7 zip file download error IE 8

I did have the Office 07 on desktop and laptop but have uninstalled and Open Office on one pc and all pcs have CS4 but unistalled on laptop and still has the same issue. All PC's have Notepad++ and Filezilla but don't think that would cause this. I will check out the FAQ maybe/hopefully something will work. The weird thing is when I save the file it's a little smaller in file size then it should be. Appreciate your time and help w/ my hair pulling issue.

Last edited:
The way I found I can open the file is with the 7zip as suggested, which is not really fixing my problem but a work around. Open the file w/ 7zip then right click open outside choose 7zip file manager then extract and files can be accessed. Why IE 8 corrupts the file I still do not know but at least I know it's not other applications conflicting. :confused:

Another thing you could try, just in case something has become corrupted, is the system file checker. Rightclick on cmd prompt and run as admin. Then types:

sfc /scannow

then hit enter. It will then run through fixing anything it finds...

When I download a zip file I just download it straight to a folder,say downloads or Documents, depending on the file zipped within. I then rightclick and use 7zip to extract right there. I was wondering what you meant when you said you couldn't unzip the files in IE... So do you try to unzip and get the contents without downloading first?

When I download the file say to my desktop I usually just click it opens up then hit the extract all file and it unzips the contents. So when using IE to download the file I get the invalid/corrupt error but when using Firefox or other browser it opens fine w/o having to use another application like 7 zip. This doesn't happen on all zip files oddly on just some like the one I linked you to and occasionally on other sites I run into this issue. Currently the zip files that do error, with 7zip I right click open with 7zip it only shows a single file in the 7zip file manager window then I have to right click again choose open outside it then shows all the contents of the zip. Hope that made better sense

I keep searching google for some type of solution but at present nothing has presented itself.. I'll keep looking tho' :)

Ie does not have the ability to open .zip files. It will normally use the built in zip function, automatically, through the correct path. You seem to have lost this associate.
There are two ways which might fix this. One is to right click and choose the "open with" option and browse. Here you can select "7" or IE. (Make sure you have the box ticked, bottom left). The latter choice may be once again lost when you try to unzip files throu FF.
The second method is to open "Default programs" in the Control panel or start menu. Choose "Associate a file type..etc. Scroll down to zip, near the bottom. It will normally have an associate. This may be IE, or perhaps you would like to select, top right "Change program". and select the "7" program from the choices.

Good idea on the file association RAK and default programs.. I did have a quicl look myself but didn't see anything obvious but as I said it was a very quick look.....

Thanks Rak will try this out. Would it IE or Windows Explorer I think by default it's set to Windows Explorer

Last edited:
Here's something I found out on the files that throw the error. Checking the property they are gzip files, does windows not open gzip and have to use 7zip or winzip application for that? When I check properties mine says opens with Windows Explorer and doesn't have issues except for with these gzip'd files.

Great at least it's not an issue w/ all 3 of my pc's. Actually using 7zip as suggested. Thanks for the time and help guys.

Back