Windows 10 10122- usoclient.exe - Anyone know what this is?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have been seeing a Command Window open on the desktop and then close. It seems to be the result of usoclient.exe so I was wondering if anyone know exactly what it was.

It might be related to updates but I do not know anything for sure.

Maybe the new update, KB3066096, will help in some areas, including Cortana.

I never seen my command window open and then close. What I have got was a notification that KB3066096 could not finish being installed. It shows it installed. I even went and uninstalled it and reinstalled but still got the message could not finish installing. It does show installed in my updates.

Sonny, I got the same message but mine was also installed. I think it had finished before I had a chance to clink on the message... After the restart, it seems something else downloaded and may have completed the process.

The window just pops up the off and I have seen it several times. It is very fast but I have seen installs which will open such a window for some purpose regarding that install so I assume this is for the same type of reason.

Thanks Saltgrass, That could be why I never noticed it opening. I think you are right that it had something to do with this install.

I saw a window open just now when I opened Event Viewer. If you look in Task Manger, you may see two Console Window Host entries, so it may be tied to those.

The update on my system does still show as needing a Restart to finish. I have already done both a Restart and a Shutdown and restart. Since the update appears to be part of a OneCore Troubleshooting package, I think I will wait and see what happens. As far as I can tell there are no problems related and it may just be a glitch.

usoclient is something run by a company called I-Sprint innovations. Norton, I believe, class it as a virus but browsing is very vague. I believe it is , possibly, (?) harmless and is more a spamming program than a virus, but that is a personal opinion. It does look, on reading the various items regarding it, that it is a cookie that looks at things concerned with your finances etc, in order to draw up stats - just a guess.

I detected it, first, after installing build 122. In my case, I found it here C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-update-usoclient_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10122.0_none_341150ce4a5150c7 and deleted it. You need to change the security permissions first. This was a while ago, and I have not seen ant bad side effects.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind. If it is listed as being part of a Microsoft Package, that means it was installed intentionally?

Maybe Microsoft is getting prepared for the RTM and setting up security for it... but I would agree it was involved in some manner of monitoring the system.

Thanks

usoclient is something run by a company called I-Sprint innovations. Norton, I believe, class it as a virus but browsing is very vague. I believe it is , possibly, (?) harmless and is more a spamming program than a virus, but that is a personal opinion. It does look, on reading the various items regarding it, that it is a cookie that looks at things concerned with your finances etc, in order to draw up stats - just a guess.

I detected it, first, after installing build 122. In my case, I found it here C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-update-usoclient_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10122.0_none_341150ce4a5150c7 and deleted it. You need to change the security permissions first. This was a while ago, and I have not seen ant bad side effects.
My UsoClient.exe resides at C:/Windows/System 32 and briefly pops up a blank cmd window not long after boot up or restart.

I would try to adjust your theme settings. Not a fault (I think) with the forum.

usoclient.exe looks to be the new windows update mechanism file. I've been doing some digging trying to understand updates in Windows 10 and I tracked down the use of this file. If you open up command prompt and type usoclient.exe StarttInstall and keep the Windows Update settings window up at same time, it'll attempt to install a failed update. There are several different commands for the usoclient.exe in the files that contain settings for Windows Update under C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator

After I type that I bring up scheduled tasks and thus I realise that all those files are the settings for Orchestrator to do different windows update actions.

USO stands for Update Session Orchestrator and it's the mechanism that's replaced the Windows Update Agent (i believe)

Results of the last Windows Update attempt seem to be stored here C:\ProgramData\USOPrivate\UpdateStore as there's one xml storing data related to a failing update I get.

C:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs contains as it suggests, individual logs of USO components. Probably these might be combined into the new windows update etl log that I still can't read very well.

OK, thanks I will look into your information.

Do you feel this might be related in some way to the Updates which continue to ask for a Restart to Complete?

There's possibly some information in the areas I mentioned to what's causing that. In my days on Windows 7 it used to be due to wrong exit codes being returned by the updates but don't know if that's the case in Windows 10. I've got several updates like that from yesterday's group of updates. They are installed though on my PC but report that they still need a restart,

They made an announcement about combining Windows Updates for the mobile devices with the PCs. Possibly this is a transition error and will be corrected when that process has been completed.

For now, since I have seen nothing from Microsoft, I will have to assume the Updates are being install completely. I was interested in why the small Command window flashes open due to usoclient.exe. It may be as you suggest and involve updates in some fashion..or some reporting process for them.

Thanks.

It pops up and closes instantly because it needs a command parameter. i.e. a command after it's filename is called. There seems to be several commands possible for the USOClient, which you can see in several of the scheduled tasks that call it ...

2hhpzjo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom