Windows Vista 100% CPU Usage often

U

Unregistered

Recently, and I am not sure if it has anything to do with windows updates taken to the system in similar time, my CPU Usage fan has been going crazy - and quite frequently. CPU memory usuage, 100% or thereabouts is the norm now.

Anybody else experience this?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have SP1 installed? If not, use the link found in the support thread and install it. Things should improve thereon in..

Hi thanks. SP1 is installed. I just installed WinPatrol and viewed my Startup Programs and Services tab - it turns out there was an "ATI external event utility" that was active and I disabled it.

So far, this seems to have helped markedly with the CPU usage. Strange though. Things were fine up until last week - not sure what triggered the CPU usage problem; perhaps it was a Windows Update?

Take care.

Hmm..Well if say you've recently made an addition to the HDD like updates or new software then vista will add it to the index next time it runs. This eventually will calm down again although it has to be quite a substantial amount of data for it to be noticeable when it's indexing..
Anyhow at least your monitering the situation, oh and don't forget about 'superfetch'.. If you've added anything new utility wise then this will be loaded up into the RAM during the start-up phase.. This eventually gets quicker but I guess if you've got that going on as well as it indexing you could see a large rise in CPU output..:)

update. Okay, it seems the problem is back with a vengeance despite my earlier tweak. And just now, the BSOD flash before me and a message appeared (too quickly to read, but something to the effect the pc has shut down to prevent damage?! WTF?!). When I do clean manager, tons and I mean TONS of error message dumps. Huge quanties nearing 149 MB in one case.

I dunno, I have a lot of programs and files I need on this PC, but seriously considering going back to XP. This operating system is an abomination.

Well most blue screen messages say it's shutting down to prevent damage so I wouldn't worry overmuch about that one.. Could you please supply your spec and also any chnges you may have made recently..
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom