Windows 10 10049 Downloading now...

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I suppose we should have expected an earlier release since that released the slow ring so quickly.

Awwww, I just got Build 10041 working!! I'm on FAST RING; how come it didn't ask me to download 10049? Is this just released today??

Thanks,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Awwww, I just got Build 10041 working!! I'm on FAST RING; how come it didn't ask me to download 10049? Is this just released today??
Since they released 10041 to the slow ring about a week after the fast ring, it might be the same for this, so not much difference either way.

You may want to switch to the Slow Ring and then go back to the Fast Ring if you are ready for a reported build release. I suppose it did not ask you because the Preview program doesn't allow that option.

It looks like the primary for 10049 was for exposure to Spartan. We know things like being able to change your Network Adapter's configuration, is temporarily disabled due to changes coming removing those settings from the Registry.

Yes, I'm already on the Win10 Insiders Program, and have been since last Sept. with Build 9841.

That's a good idea about switching Fast Ring off and Slow Ring on, and then back to Fast Ring. I haven't tried that yet. I'm just finishing another Build with 10041 on my Win10 test machine. I've found a few glitches that slowed me down.

Glitches are:
(1)
Soon as you install Google Toolbar alongside Chrome, it DISABLES your IE11/Spartan browser; locks it up hard.
(2) You can NOT go into SAFE MODE via MSCONFIG.EXE for a diagnostic boot! This was not the case in previous Builds 9926-->bacl to 9841. SAFE MODE works in all of those. This is a potential big problem for me, as I install all my Anti-Virus and Rootkit security programs via SAFE MODE, as well as AV-Spyware scans; such as TrendMicro Housecall, Rootkit Buster, and Malwarebytes, etc. The first time this happened, I was unable to get out of SAFE MODE and had to completely wipe the partition and reinstall 10041. I since was able to figure out a way to exit it and put it back to NORMAL MODE through use of the PowerShell prompt.
(3) Cortana Seach seems to lock up as soon as you begin installing Programs. Not sure why, but, I did a System Restore back to the initial 10041 basic install, no drivers or programs besides my Wifi adapter (Netgear N600 USB). Sometimes Cortana comes back, but mostly it freezes. When Cortana works it's great.
(4) Macrium Reflect is not able to create a RESCUE DISK via WinPE3.1 or WinPE4.0. I've made multiple backup disk images on the 10041 Build to rollback the system after installing an App that causes a problem with a Win10 feature or App. The RESCUE DISK creation works fine on both Vista 32bit and Win7 Home Premium 32 bit on my Sony Vaio laptop. This may not be a problem for some using the Paid Macrium program, I only am using the Free, which works pretty good. Kingston provides a free copy of ACRONIS TrueImage, which I tried when I first got the drive this week, and wanted to Clone the existing 10041 build I had on my old mechanical HDD. This worked; but both IE11 and Cortana froze, so I concluded that was due to that old HDD drive having multiple read sector errors; so therefore the Cloned Acronis image had the same failures as were on the old HDD drive. A complete new 10041 install on the Kingston SSD proved that theory correct. IE11 worked perfectly on the BRAND NEW Kingston drive with new 10041 scratch install. However, as per #1 above, the Google Toolbar killed it until I was able to disable the browser add-on from Toolbar.

This might be of interest to other Tech Preview Insider testers reading this.

Lastly, I upgrading my Test Machine with a Kingston SV300S37A120G, 120GB SSD drive for faster installation and performance. Win10 runs even FASTER with a SSD!!

As soon, as I complete my 10041 image build, I'm going to attempt getting the 10049 and test it out as well.

I will also check the link to TP you gave me as well. Thanks!
Enjoy your weekend.

<<<BBJ>>>

I got mine on Monday. 10049 that is.

Hi Sonny,
Did you Download your 10049 through Fast Ring update or download and ESD or ISO file? Would appreciate a link to your download if you don't mind...

Thanks-<<<BBJ>>>

I'm waiting for Sonny to post a link I guess.

I tried that link, and I went through logging in to my Insider Hub account and went into Community, and saw this same post by Andre Da Costa. All his download links are dead; they come back with 404 errors. I found another procedure on TenForums which is similar; downloading the ESD file and converting to ISO. I will try it if I have time and post back if successful.

Thanks for trying..

<<<BBJ>>>

Sorry, I thought Andre would be a reliable source.

I got mine from the download for an update from 10041 to 10049. It leaves the install.esd file on the drive.

Was going to download build 1051 through a torrent but decided against it. Don't want to push my luck.

Last edited:
Maybe you folks could refresh my memory. Isn't it about a week after Microsoft does their infamous "Leak Build" that another official build update is released?

I wonder if the folks using the Torrent downloads are helping Microsoft test their suggestion of downloading Windows Updates through torrent sites...?

Well with Windows 7 there were constant leaks on the torrent sites and MS didn't seem to care. This upgrade only method instead of an actual ISO is a pain.
Joe

Well with Windows 7 there were constant leaks on the torrent sites and MS didn't seem to care. This upgrade only method instead of an actual ISO is a pain.
Joe
I can see why Microsoft wants folks to do a downloaded upgrade first. Part of their testing is probably to see how that process works.

But I was thinking the other day about this and realized, the most accurate way to check the new builds for download install capability would be to install them on the actual prior OS. Once you have installed a build, you are no longer on that path until you reinstall the original OS and try again. It is certainly not practical for most folks to comply with such a process, but having the .iso originally might help. I have decided to do this when we are close to the RTM date. But so far, the builds, in my opinion, are not really aimed at improving system stability but at testing different areas. Maybe Microsoft will let us know when a build release is expected to be the predecessor to the RTM...

Sorry, I thought Andre would be a reliable source.

I got mine from the download for an update from 10041 to 10049. It leaves the install.esd file on the drive.

**No problem. I re-read Andre's post, and someone else mentions the fact that his links didn't work. He replied that you need to keep trying as the links go up and down; active and inactive from time to time. I've seen some of his posts before on other topics, he seems to know quite a bit. I think that his posts on earlier build links had this problem, so wherever his source for the links is, maybe it's dependent on Microsoft releasing them for a time period, a bunch of people download them, then then turn the links inactive again, until new Build links are activated??

I'm doing a 2-phase approach now. I've gone through Andre's document and turned my Fast Ring setting to Slow Ring and back to Fast Ring after all my backups on 10041. It's now letting me in-place upgrade the 10049! (THANKS FOR THAT SUGGESTION!) It's currently at 25%, and I started the updates process 11PM PST last night, so it's coming up on 24 hrs. This includes the process of pulling in ALL updates through Windows Updates first as he recommended. It's probably got another 6-12 hrs. to go we'll see. I will report back on that for all.

My 2nd phase is that I downloaded an 10049 ISO file from a 3rd part site which had good reviews also last night. I burned the DVD and it's 3.3GB or so. I will test that out on a clean install once my in-place download upgrade through Win updates completes and I play with it a bit. Since I'm experimenting with Clone image backup and trying to get SPARTAN capability, I think these will be helpful to other TP testers. Will post results of the Clean install as well.

I will probably go back to Andre's site and check his links over the next few weeks. If I get a good ISO download install that works, I'll let everyone know.

<<<BBJ>>>

Was going to download build 1051 through a torrent but decided against it. Don't want to push my luck.

>>>Sonny, thanks for the Torrent link! Torrent downloads are my last resort choice. Besides the viruses, and spwyare they contain (especially Ransomware viruses), I've gotten warning letters from 2 different ISPs over the last 6 years from downloading copy-protected programs and movies!! Cox, and Verizon both. If I get a 2nd letter from Verizon, they just shut my Internet off, and my other choices in my rural area are twice the monthly cost! If I didn't have the 1 warning letter in my Verizon file, I might be tempted to try it. Thanks for posting it though. Perhaps some of our other testers can try it out. BTW, I used to live in your town many years ago. You're the first person I've ever seen on any tech forums I've been on from there. ;)

I'll let you know about the 10049 upgrade/install attempts I'm trying now. :coffee:

Once I get this out of the way, I may try 10051, if not this week then by the end of the month. Will post any 10051 ISO links I find for everyone from non-torrent sources.

Cheers!- <<<BBJ>>>

From what I have seen with build 10051 so far, it is a shame they released 10049 at all.

My download would not burn to DVD and boot as UEFI. I was able to copy the files from the mounted .iso to a flash drive and install that way.

Interesting. My 10049 Fast Ring update download just completed! Total time from Updates through install: 24h15m. My Internet connection is quite a bit slower than most folks with Cable broadband; only 6-7MBPS.

First 2 things I checked were: (1) SPARTAN, and (2) CORTANA.
Right off the bat, CORTANA worked; but it hasn't spoken to me, and the sound is working through external speakers (for you Mike!). Next, SPARTAN browser is there--and it works!! :D I had to open and close it a couple of times to initialize it; but is working! Yaayyy! Will let everyone know more shortly.

Now, the next question is, how did you get 10051 so soon, especially as an ISO file?? I thought it's not going to be out on Fast Ring for another week or so.o_O

<<<BBJ>>>:brew:

Last edited:
Back