12/14/2011 - Windows 7 updates not configuring

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by johnbruin, Dec 15, 2011.

1. johnbruin

johnbruin New Member

Last night while bring windows 7 home premium down it indicate 16 upgrades. The system appears to load the upgrades and the computer shut down. This morning I turned on the computer and I get to the screen "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." It has been stuck here for over an hour. How long do I let it go before I turn it off?

Thanks

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

The only time I have seen it take a long time to do the updates such as the current ones is when I was running an Anti-virus/Internet Security software that was blocking the boot portion of the install. If this is the case, the time might vary quite a bit, if it succeeds.

If you are running one, after you get back in your system, you might try turning off everything you have to get the updates to work.

3. johnbruin

johnbruin New Member

Thanks, for the reply, I actually was just able to fix it. I finally got tired of waiting so I turned the computer off. On reboot it allowed me to start up in safe mode and then it actually indicated that updates had failed and reverted back. At that point I went in and loaded each update one by one and each one loaded, so I don't know which one hung up the computer but I'm now up to date.

4. David Vanhoucke

David Vanhoucke New Member

i had the same problem this morning. I also restarted the pc, save mode, restart and updated
    pc step per step. problem is now solved!
    I have a virus scanner, and in the save mode i switched off the rootscan!
    thanx