Windows 7 1gb or 2gb ram sticks?

...What?
It's always better to have more RAM, and larger sized sticks.
Especially in dual channel.

Depends on your hardware. Some models you can only have so much memory. Others require different modules ect.

Each stick of ram has its own limit on the rate at which you can access it so it would be better to have 4 1gb sticks than 1 4gb stick or 2 2gb sticks because thats more ram your system can access in a smaller amount of time.

If I remember correctly, it is also most efficient to have all the sticks you are using be of the same size (all 1gb sticks or all 2gb sticks and not 2 1gb and 1 2gb).

Each stick of ram has its own limit on the rate at which you can access it so it would be better to have 4 1gb sticks than 1 4gb stick or 2 2gb sticks because thats more ram your system can access in a smaller amount of time.

If I remember correctly, it is also most efficient to have all the sticks you are using be of the same size (all 1gb sticks or all 2gb sticks and not 2 1gb and 1 2gb).

Thats what I always thought too.

is it just me or are 2 of my slots one color and the other 2 another color. and what fits in 1 color doesnt fit in the other. basicly i can only use 2 slots for ram so i have 2 2 gig pieces. i tryed putting the exact same sticks into the other slot and it just wont go...

The colors indicate a 'bank' of memory.

You should use the same size/brand/build of memory in any given bank.
This will ensure that the memory is being used in an interleaved fashion - which is faster.

Fill 'Bank 0' first (they are designated 'Bank 0', 'Bank1', 'Bank2', etc - depending on how many banks your mb supports), which may have been your problem if your MB acted differently when you used the sticks in an alternate bank. (or are you using 2GB sticks in slots that are designed for only 1GB sticks?)

As to what size and how much, that depends on your motherboard.
Mine has 4 memory slots (bank0 and bank1). And it has a max of 4GB.
So I can only use a max of 1GB sticks. (Max memory divided by slots available).

Mine are different colours too but fits all manners of ddr2 ram. They have different clips also. The idea is if you are only going to use 2 sticks you put them in the same colour and they run in dual channel, seems odd the same ram doesnt fit in the other slots.

What mobo are you using out of interest?

Mine are different colours too but fits all manners of ddr2 ram. They have different clips also. The idea is if you are only going to use 2 sticks you put them in the same colour and they run in dual channel, seems odd the same ram doesnt fit in the other slots.

What mobo are you using out of interest?

i cant find out what it is. dxdiag wont tell me

i have kingston 2 gig sticks (2 of them) ddr2. wont fit into my black slots. they fit perfectly into my white slots..

So, open the case and LOOK!

Or, if you are using a prebuilt system that has a model number, go to the manufactures website and look up the specs.

:rolleyes:

And the slots are (for all practical purposes) identical; they are not designed for different types of memory. So if you can't fit the same stick into the other bank, either you are trying to fit it backwards or the other bank is slightly out of tolerance and it might that a bit more pressure to seat them.

So, open the case and LOOK!

Or, if you are using a prebuilt system that has a model number, go to the manufactures website and look up the specs.

:rolleyes:

my case is never closed.. *goese to look one sec*

no clue o_O its a dimnesion 9200 (i did upgrade it but mobo is untouched). and no i only found a s/n

dimension 9200 :p
From what Ive read the Dell Dimension 9200 has a WG855 motherboard in it which has four DDR2 dimms that can be run in dual-channel. I also read the max system memory you can have is 4gigs. So the ram should fit in all the slots but if you have 2 gig sticks theres no point. Just as long as you have them in both the black slots or both the white slots.

Back