Windows 7 32 bit v 64 bit

qavorq

Honorable Member
Ive never used a 64bit OS before. I was just wondering what advantages it might give me over a 32 bit system? Im running an Intel Pentium D 3Ghz dual core duo so as far as I know I should be able to run the 64bit version right?

The main advantage is that you can use more than 3.5 GB of RAM. You have only 2, so I would not go out and do a clean install just to get x64. Assuming your CPU does support x64, if you were to buy more RAM in the future, I would recommend installing a x64 OS. Maybe try it out on another drive or partition first.

Ive never used a 64bit OS before. I was just wondering what advantages it might give me over a 32 bit system? Im running an Intel Pentium D 3Ghz dual core duo so as far as I know I should be able to run the 64bit version right?

Pentium D is not 64bit its 2x32bit sandwiched which on paper sounds 64bit but it is merely dual core 32bit...so wont run 64bit OS.

Thanks Highwayman for the info. I guess I shall have to look into what chips are 64 bit.

Almost all current cpu's are 64-bit compatible.. To add to what loathe said regarding the advantages, you'll see things like huge performance gains and an exponential leap forward in efficiency (just to mention a couple) as more and more apps and games start to take full advantage of the 64-bit architecture.. :) If you Wiki 64-bit you'll find all kinds of info on it as well.. ;)

My wife's system is a Pentium D and it states it is 64-bit compatible.

AFAIK the Pentium D range is 2 x x86 and can read and understand x64, but is not x64 native, meaning you will only get half the performance as it has to pass through the core twice, which may account for your lockups?

To the OP, I misread your post and thought you said you had a Core 2 Duo. Your best bet would be to stay with x86

So 32-bit huh?

I wouldn't mind, but what happens when 7 is released? I would have to buy a 32-bit and a 64-bit copy?

Not sure my wallet could handle that.

Edit:

Not from what I have found. Looks like the 925 can run 64-bit: Intel® Pentium® D processor numbers

I dont know a lot about the chip, back then I was jamming an Athlon, but yeh the Pentium D range can all support x64, it just takes twice as long to do everything.

Last edited:
I dont know a lot about the chip, back then I was jamming an Athlon, but yeh the Pentium D range can all support x64, it just takes twice as long to do everything.

Well, I didn't say it would be fast...;)

I just want it to run without freezing or crashing and without me having to buy two different copies of 7.

ok so there is a difference of opinion as to whether the Pentium D is capable of 64bit. That may not be such a big issue as I intend to replace my chip later this year anyway. So if I've got this right - putting the 'D' aside - if I want to go over to true 64bit then I should be looking at what? A core 2 duo?

Hmmm I'd still maybe contact them to be sure, far as I recall the Pentium D & Prescott range merely allowed 64bit extentions virtually over 32bit path......

So 32-bit huh?

I wouldn't mind, but what happens when 7 is released? I would have to buy a 32-bit and a 64-bit copy?

Not sure my wallet could handle that.

Edit:

Not from what I have found. Looks like the 925 can run 64-bit: Intel® Pentium® D processor numbers

It'll be the same as it was when Vista was released.. If you buy Windows 7 Professional (for example) (which comes with the 32-bit media only) than you'll be able to order the 64-bit media and only have to pay for the shipping, which varies depending on your location. If you buy Windows 7 Ultimate you'll get both the 32-bit and 64-bit media as both come in the package... :)

Nothing has been officially announced yet for Retail Pricing.. There have been some upgrade prices flying around but I'd believe the finalized official report from Microsoft as far as pricing goes.. ;)

I'd like to see a source saying Pentium D is any way less 64-bit than Core 2. Intel says Pentium D supports Intel 64. The Wikipedia articles on Pentium D, Core 2, and x86-64 say nothing about Core 2 being 64-bit in a different sense than Pentium D.

Either way, you would just need to buy Windows 7 once, then fill out the order form for the 64-bit DVD and pay shipping and handling. You would get the 32-bit DVD in the box, but I'm sure you wouldn't need that at all to run the 64-bit version.

Well, I'm thinking 64-bit was the problem because 7100 32-bit is running smooth on her system. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom