Windows 8 32 driver in a 64 bit os

anotherwindowsuser

Hi

I'd like to have windows 8 loadup a 32 driver, can I do this? It seems running a 32 bit program in xp mode isn't working owing to the driver I want to load not working. Thanks again guys for your help.

I tried to install it manually using the have disc option but it complains about the 32 bit discrepancy. Can this be done via the x compatible mode by any chance?

Last edited:
If it's a kernel mode driver then it would not work. Compatibility mode has nothing to do with drivers.

With regards to this page I came to upon reading your link in regards to creating a new xp install disk with added drivers, it says I have know know which driver I am to add to the new xp install disc, but how do I get that? I don't believe Dell would provide a sata driver for mt lattitude D630 laptop for use in windows xp?

If it's a kernel mode driver then it would not work. Compatibility mode has nothing to do with drivers.

Well I don't know how they are dong it, all I know is the device is working using 32 bit software, in a variety of windows os versions and using the supplied 32bit drivers from the original hardware that was built and designed 20 years ago or more.. Using compatibility mode... This is why I am now trying to create a xp install on my laptop because it might be easier to go straight to 32 system rather than use my laptops windows 8 version.

Software and drivers are different things. 32-bit software will work on 64-bit operating systems through an emulation layer in Windows.

Software and drivers are different things. 32-bit software will work on 64-bit operating systems through an emulation layer in Windows.

OK I don't know the extent to the setup, however it was the driver being a fault issue that windows was presenting.

Anyway thank you very much for your advice on the streamlined install process, I am now installing windows xp with the service pack three and the SATA drivers, this was really very useful to me and I hope my software will work in it now. Thank you.

Short lived success...

OK well having installed XP onto spare space on the end of a drive which was running windows 8.11 I now have two interesting problems,

1. XP has installed its bootloader with only xp as a startup option so it only loads to XP leaving me with no acess to 8.1

2.It does NOT load to XP because it crashes upon bootup.

What am I to do??

Please see video clip, it cuts about one minute of screen of showing he list that loaded, I added to the end a freeze frame of the resulting error message.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

You have to install windows versions in order oldest to newest to have them not override. The crash you'd need to look at the dump file.

OK I tried again today and windows installed ok, just a few drivers missing, but they dont appear to be crucial to the purposes i am using the laptop for, I wonder if there is a comprehensive drivers pack I could use?

Back