Windows 7 5.1 Surround Sound Issues

Theisticnomad

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 on my XP machine which has realtek audio integrated into its geforce 6100sm-m motherboard. I've installed the latest vista 64 drivers for the audio and checked all the connections, but when attempting to configure in 7's audio configuration only the two main speakers are responsive when I click on them. Additionally, when I try and configure them using the Realtek HD audio manager utility that hangs out in the taskbar overflow, I can choose 5.1 speaker under the drop down menu, but the utility doesn't change or seem to register the switch, and reverts back to a blank option when I click ok.

Was just curious if anyone else was having a hard time getting their surround sound to work.

Last edited:
The Realtek audio drivers are giving most people trouble on Windows 7. You will probably have to wait until they release even newer drivers for Windows 7.

The Realtek audio drivers are giving most people trouble on Windows 7. You will probably have to wait until they release even newer drivers for Windows 7.

I used my Vista ones and my 5.1 system with Realtek audio works fine. I cannot get my SB Xfi extreme gamer to even be seen....grrr.

I used Realtek High Definition Driver version 6.0.0.5667

Last edited:
got the realtek drivers as well.
I'm able to enable 5.1 sound by going to the control panel -> hardware and sound -> sound -> doubl-clicking the main sound device (roughly translated by me from german, it may not be the same :D)
one of the tabs in that window allows you to select your output format - and yo u can choose 5.1 and it will stick.

got the realtek drivers as well.
I'm able to enable 5.1 sound by going to the control panel -> hardware and sound -> sound -> doubl-clicking the main sound device (roughly translated by me from german, it may not be the same :D)
one of the tabs in that window allows you to select your output format - and yo u can choose 5.1 and it will stick.

I tried that, but even just trying to test it out, when I click on the speakers on the side, only the two main ones make any noise.

I was able to get mine to work, after some digging. :rolleyes:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound >

or alternatively, right click on the speakers icon in your task bar and select Playback Devices

then select one of the options - mine worked with the "Speakers" options - and there's a Configure button on the lower left hand side of the window. Click on that and change the selection from Stereo to 5.1. I had to re-jack a few connectors at the back but after that everything's working fine.

Using the 2.14 drivers of Realtek.

I had issues with it when I first started, but all I had to do is open up the properties tab (you click on the speaker in the bottom corner, and then the speaker at the top in the pop up) and click on the advanced tab to check the boxes that allow exclusive mode. I was then able to get it to work in 5.1

I had the same problem with a realtek ac97. I just downloaded the latest driver went to control panel->sound->properties->enhancements and selected speaker fill.
you can find the latest driver here

Sound works through control panel

I've managed to get sound through my new 5.1 speakers by using the test button in the sound window (in control panel) - and each speaker works fine - but when I play music through windows media player the sound only comes out of the front two? :S Any ideas? About to install Realtek 2.19 driver

Works in games

Okay, I'm now playing Modern Warfare 2 and the surround sound works a charm! =D But still doesn't work in media player or other stuff like youtube... anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks!

I had the issue that when I was trying to use a 5.1 speaker system, Windows 7 was only detecting my front two speakers and my subwoofer. I fixed this by downloading the newest realtek drivers from their website for windows 7. After doing this windows recognised I had a 5.1 system and when I tested all my speakers, all worked. But when I tried using them in Windows media player only the front two were working again. To fix this issue I went to Sound, Speaker Properties then enhancements I then selected the 'speaker fill' tick box. problem fixed.

When I go into that menu, all I see is 2 channel output. It doesn't even give me a specific name for my integrated audio card, but it's "Realtek High Definition Audio". It's integrated on an Asus M4N82 motherboard, with an nVidia 980a SLI chipset, IDK if any of that matters/makes a difference...

Back