Windows 10 500GB SSD Drive what's the best way to use it .

NettleWarbler

Honorable Member
Hello all , I bought a 500GB SSD Drive about 2 years ago now . I had a bit spare money , a inheritance gift . I decided to build my own computer , there was someone building a gaming PC on youtube . And i thought that looks pretty easy , I went to a couple of dealers on Ebay ( just to make sure the motherboards and power supplys would fit . ) I still have the computer which i use most days , i'm glad to say i havn't had any bother with it . My question is the 500GB SSD Drive what's the best way to use it , to acheive a better start up or what . The reason i chose a gaming PC was for something with a bit quality , the only game i play on here is usually Spider with 2 suit option . I did try installing windows 10 on the SSD Drive , at the time i was having trouble with Blue Screen of Death trying to burn blu-ray dvds on nero . It did work the first time but no more , so windows 10 will still be on there , i hav'nt formatted it . The Samsung 500GB SSD-Drive is also about 2 years old now , the same age as my computer . Thank you .

Use the SSD for your boot disk if you use your PC for normal everyday activities.
If you game, install your games on the SSD and run them from there.

Luke13TH , I don't play games spider maybe . So using it as a boot disk will do , do you or anyone else know how I'd achieve that . And i loaded windows 10 on there will i need to format it .Thank you .

Hi Nettle,

You would need to format the disk, install windows 10 on it again and then change the boot order from your BIOS. Your BIOS will display the disks that are accessible, you will then be able to change the boot order from the BIOS to the SSD, the SSD is then selected as first to boot so it will boot that disk and the OS on it. Hopefully that helps.

Luke13TH , I havn't a clue what you're on about , I can't even manage to make a bootable dvd . I will try in a few days from now , and use the big 8TB drive what I formatted to GPT . I will start using that drive and use that as my main C; Drive .

I will start using that drive and use that as my main C; Drive .
That totally defeats the purpose of a SSD.

When you buy a SSD and want to use it as your C drive, there are a few things that have to be done. First, if you don't have your install media you'll need to make it. Do that from here and I suggest the USB method vs DVD as it's a faster install time. Next, you'll need to remove any other drives connected to the system. Next, install the SSD into your system. Next, insert USB drive and boot from it....this will install windows on your PC.

Once that's done and all your drivers are installed and OS is updated, then you can connect your old HDD and move data to new SSD.

Note: There is migration software that is provided by the SSD manufacturer that will move your OS and all your data to the SSD. The key to that is connecting the drive externally with a cable setup that you have to buy. Usually the SSD manufacturer has those as well.

It's the large 7TB hard drive I'm using not the SSD drive .
I got that.....but you asked how to best use the SSD. To best use any SSD is; as the primary drive....the drive with your OS on it. Otherwise is just wasted money down the drain.

That totally defeats the purpose of a SSD
No...that's the purpose of SSD's to be used as the primary drive as they are super fast (10 - 50 times faster than a standard HDD), they don't produce any heat.

You can set up your PC how ever you want...it's yours. If you want to run your 1(7)TB drive as your primary (C) drive and install everything on it, you can. It will become slow as molasses over time.

bassfisher6522 , No...that's the purpose of SSD's to be used as the primary drive as they are super fast (10 - 50 times faster than a standard HDD), they don't produce any heat.
That's how i'd like to use the SSD Drive , but I was thinking you would have to use the 7TB Drive as your main C: Drive being the biggest . It will probaly be too complicated for me though .

Nah....it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have your install media with windows 10 handy and ready to go.

1. power off PC, while powerd off, unplug cables connecting HDD (I always remove mine - but you can leave it in there).
2. install your SSD, connect SATA cable and power cable.
3. Power up and start tapping F12 key - this will bybass the BIOS and go straight to the boot menu screen
4. Select install media platform....DVD or USB and select enter/OK
5. Installing windows (clean install).......just follow the prompts on screen
6. Once done make sure windows operates normally

Here's an excellent video showing exactly how.....very easy.

bassfisher6522 , There is windows 10 already installed on the SSD Drive , ( I installed it to try to burn Blu-ray films on nero as I was having a lot of trouble with BSOD . The first one worked , but no more . ) I take it I will just do a clean windows install when I attempt it , it will be this afternoon probably .

I installed it to try to burn Blu-ray films on nero as I was having a lot of trouble with BSOD
That may be your BSOD issue right there. Your Blu-ray software and how you were using it and the DRM of the material you were trying to burn.

If you do, do another clean install of windows 10 on the SSD.....make sure you pull your old HDD out first.

bassfisher6522 , another problem , I put the cables in the SSD Drive and powered up it came straight onto windows 10 , I pressed F10 repeatedly but it just went onto my windows 10 desktop . Twice I tried will it be another F button , or is there something i'm not doing right . Do I need the windows 10 USB Drive I ready , so it may give me the chance to install it .

bassfisher6522 That may be your BSOD issue right there. Your Blu-ray software and how you were using it and the DRM of the material you were trying to burn.
The BSOD was caused by extreme tuning utility When I use MSI live updates it has Intel extreme tuning utility on there that's probly how i'v got it in the first place .
MSI live updates that was the cause of the problem .

Why does simple things not go to plan for me and computers , the only thing simple on here is me . This Realtek Adapter is still playing up taking it ages before deciding to work so I can get online . Can someone recommend a suitable adapter , I know I shouldn't ask on here but at least I think it would be the right on to buy . Thank you .

Back