60Hz vs 240Hz

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
How do you get a tv that has a 240Hz refresh rate to use it? Every thing that comes out of my cable box is at 60Hz and blu-ray player is 24Hz. How does this work?

I don't know, but do NOT set higher resolutions than officially supported by your monitor/tv panel. : )

Jimbo:
There is a ton of discussions regarding this out there on google, it seems basically that your TV performs this adjustment internally by using a multiples of the source so if you have a 60hz source then your tv will basically display each frame 4 times per sec on a 240hz TV. The problem evidently comes when the conversion process is harder to sync like a 24hz source and a 60hz display.
I'm really new to this stuff myself and am currently thinking of sinking a good chunck of cash into a new TV so I've been googling the heck out of this and am currently suffering brain boil.
A couple links for you
240hz, 120hz, 60hz Effect with Cable TV - AVS Forum
and
Motion blur illustrated - AVS Forum
Are you suffering from any blur, jitter, stutter, pixel artifacts, jeez I'm suffering from utter confusion over just trying to get some information to help with a new TV purchase. Good luck to you

It will only display it at 60hz like Trouble said.. but in the future it could support a 240Hz broadcast. I'm not sure who records at 240.. lol

Jimbo:
There is a ton of discussions regarding this out there on google, it seems basically that your TV performs this adjustment internally by using a multiples of the source so if you have a 60hz source then your tv will basically display each frame 4 times per sec on a 240hz TV. The problem evidently comes when the conversion process is harder to sync like a 24hz source and a 60hz display.
I'm really new to this stuff myself and am currently thinking of sinking a good chunck of cash into a new TV so I've been googling the heck out of this and am currently suffering brain boil.
A couple links for you
240hz, 120hz, 60hz Effect with Cable TV - AVS Forum
and
Motion blur illustrated - AVS Forum
Are you suffering from any blur, jitter, stutter, pixel artifacts, jeez I'm suffering from utter confusion over just trying to get some information to help with a new TV purchase. Good luck to you

I shelled out 2k for my set up that I have now back in March/April of this year. I have the Samsung 8000 series 46" LED LCD HD slim line and the Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray player. Then this two are hooked up to my surround sound....although it's a cheap $50 (100 watt) walmart job it will rattle my windows. It makes movie night awesome and the HD channels on my cable are not that far behind. So far I'm very impressed with my investment. I highly recommend the LED TV's to any one considering buying a HD TV. What sold me was the comparison of said TV of the same size in LCD, LED LCD and plasma (50") from the same source and for me the LED was the winner. Then they hooked up a blu-ray on all three and played a movie (Transformers), again for me the LED blew them away. That's what I miss about circuit city....they would do different setups of TV's for you so would not have to just take there word for it.....Best buy is starting to move in that direction.

Back