ruggb

Extraordinary Member
I have installed W7 32 on a laptop. It is running.
I am now trying to install W7 64 on my desktop.
I can't get past the drive partitioning screen.
I deleted the partitions and repartitioned it and formatted it but it is still telling me it can't install on this drive because the hardware may not support booting to this drive. It tells me to insure that the disk's controller is enabled in BIOS. There is no "enable" function and XP32 boots just fine from another drive (Samsung 300GB) connected to the same port.

Drive is a clean drive which had been running in this system under XP.
It is a WD 160GB IDE drive connected to the MB IDE port (not add-on bd)
I partitioned it 20GB + 140GB - the same as the laptop.
No other drives are connected except the optical drives which are both SATA.
It is a relatively new MB with an Intel Q6600 quad processor.

Do I have to somehow change to 64 bit MB drivers before installation???
How does that work to be able to boot back to XP32 as that is my 'working' system???

thx

It seems like you are encountering difficulties while trying to install Windows 7 64-bit on your desktop, specifically facing issues with drive partitioning. Here are some steps and considerations you can take to address this problem:

### Steps to Resolve the Issue:

1. Check BIOS Settings:
- Ensure that the disk controller for the IDE port where your WD 160GB drive is connected is properly detected and enabled in the BIOS settings.
- Access the BIOS setup during the system startup (usually by pressing F2, F12, ESC, or DEL key) and navigate to the storage settings to verify if the IDE controller is recognized and enabled.

2. 64-bit Compatibility:
- While your Intel Q6600 processor supports 64-bit architecture, ensure that your motherboard also supports 64-bit operating systems. Most modern motherboards are compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, but it's good to double-check.

3. Driver Support:
- You typically do not need to change your motherboard drivers for a 64-bit installation. Windows 7 usually includes standard drivers that should work for most hardware configurations.
- If you suspect driver issues, especially with the disk controller, you can try to find specific drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer's website, but this is usually unnecessary for basic installations.

4. Remove Other Drives:
- Disconnect or disable any additional drives during the installation process. This can prevent any conflicts or confusion during partitioning and installation.

5. Try Alternative Installation Methods:
- Instead of partitioning the drive manually during the installation process, you can try deleting all partitions on the drive and then letting the Windows installer partition the drive automatically.

6. Compatibility Mode:
- If you still encounter issues, you can try running the Windows 7 installer in compatibility mode. You can do this by booting from the installation media, selecting the language preferences, and then choosing "Repair your computer." From there, you can access the Command Prompt and try running the installer in compatibility mode.

### Regarding Dual Booting:

• Switching from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit one may not impact your ability to boot back into the 32-bit system.
  • Dual-boot setups allow you to choose which operating system to boot into at startup. Ensure that your bootloader (like Windows Boot Manager) is properly configured to display both operating systems for selection.

Try these steps and see if they help you progress with the Windows 7 64-bit installation on your desktop. Let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any other issues during the process.

Back