Windows 10 64 vs 32 bit Win. 10

gezafisch

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 , Duo Core, 2 Gigs RAM, Intel Integrated chip set, Windows Vista. I probably shouldn't try to install win 10 but i meet the system requirements and I want to. So for 64 Bit OS i need 2 gigs of ram. For 32 Bit OS i need 1 gig of ram. Should I use the 64 or 32? does the extra gig of ram with 32 bit out shine the benefits of a 64 bit OS?

Thanks
Geza

I am speculating ...... since your machine has 2 GB ram, it is a 32-bit computer. Yes ?

If yes, you HAVE to use the 32 bit Windows 10.
If I am wrong, and you do have a 64-bit computer, then you can use either one, but I would still recommend 32-bit Win 10.

Since you asked about 1 gig or 2 gigs, am I to assume that you are planning to install win 10 in a virtual machine ?

Last edited:
I am planning on installing it to my computer and dual boot with Vista. My computer is 64 bit but I'm running a 32 bit OS. Doesn't ram affect speed when the OS is installed to the Hard Drive?

Thanks
Geza

Please use this tutorial.
The tutorial also applies to Dual boot Win 10 with Win Vista.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2344-dual-boot-installation-windows-8-windows-7-vista.html

Adding.......
In dual booting, the key is how much you "shrink" your C drive for your new partition.
That will depend on what is your C drive capacity.
I dual boot my Win 7 with Win 10.
381 GB for Win 7 and 200 GB for Win 10.

Image 1.jpg

Last edited:
I am planning on installing it to my computer and dual boot with Vista.

That is a very bad idea.

My computer is 64 bit but I'm running a 32 bit OS.

So your system only runs at about 1/2 speed... must make playing games, lots of fun.

Doesn't ram affect speed when the OS is installed to the Hard Drive?
The ram does have a speed difference but only in the install i.e. 2 g ram will install in 18 mins and 1g ram will take 20... after the install is done they both run the same.

I recommend you get a cheap 8 laptop to update too or just wait until the finished system comes out late next year.

To be clear; it's your system but understand that 10 is only a demo and made to be for people that know what they are doing.

Why is it a bad idea? I don't want to buy another OS just to have 64-Bit. The Demo is free and next year it won't. Besides I'm only doing this for an experiment. I don't intend to use 10 for my main OS. If I don't know enough i can just delete it, and besides whats so hard about partitioning a drive?

Thanks
Geza

Why is it a bad idea?
Vista is legacy (mbr) and 10 is the current (efi) system... they don't get on.

The guide posted above is very good but it is only a guide... yes give it a go but have you got a different computer to use, for when this one falls over?

1. A fresh install is the best i.e. remove Vista and just have 10... on a back up computer, not your main or only one.
2. a multi-boot is almost as stable and doesn't remove the old Vista... You do this on a system that has more than one hdd.

Again, it's your system--- good luck.

The guide posted above is very good but it is only a guide... yes give it a go but have you got a different computer to use, for when this one falls over?
Why would it fail? It would only be the Hard Drive, right? Besides, how would the hard drive fail even... I've installed 5 OS's on this hard drive already. It didn't do anything. What I meant by dual booting is to partition the drive and install 10 on 1/2 of it. Obviously, I will back up Vista before doing anything.

Thanks
Geza

Obviously, I will back up Vista before doing anything.
Sounds like you know what you're doing.
Again, it's your system--- good luck.
Those sound like words of encouragement and well wishes.

I say go for it. Enjoy and do what you want to do.
We always advise caution and possibly encourage less risk taking whenever possible since we rarely know the skill level or experience of the members we're trying to help so we err on the side of "first do no harm".

Most of us do this sort of thing all the time, but we always protect ourselves against unintended circumstances with a system image, or often as in my case a second hard drive keeping the primary safe (disconnected) and when everything is like I want it, I hook them both up and use F12 to pick which one to boot to.

Back
Top Bottom