Windows 7 7E/bcmwl664.sys error message

SamuelB

Hey

I've had 5 BSOD's over the past few days. After the first 3, I panicked and did a system restore. I've had 2 in the past 48 hours since I restored.

I've attached the .dmp files in a zipped folder, along with the results from the seven forum diagnostic tool.

A quick google and my extremely limited knowledge leads me to believe it has something to do with the bcmwl664.sys driver but I've no idea really.

It's an Acer 5332 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with 3GB RAM. Before the first BSOD, I hadn't made any changes to hardware/software.

Any help is appreciated, and I apologise for my vague post! If any other information is required I'll do my best

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    336.6 KB · Views: 684
Hi,

Your drivers are really old please update particularly:

Broadcom Ethernet drivers (bcmwl664.sys the cause of your bsod) : Ethernet NIC Driver Downloads | Broadcom

All drivers are old so please check below

Just realised your using a Acer Laptop... Doh! Please check your models web page for driver updates: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded and installed the updated drivers from the Acer website, rebooted and so far so good. It's a waiting game now I guess. Many thanks!

Gah! I spoke to soon, another BSOD after no more than 30 minutes. Blue screen looked exactly the same (same bcmwl664.sys causing the problem)

I'm assuming I failed to install the drivers correctly. This is potentially the silliest question I've ever asked, but is there a specific way to install the drivers? A specific location they need to be in? Should I have uninstalled the old ones first? How would I go about doing that?

I just downloaded the file, double clicked the setup.exe and went from there...

Sorry for the dumb questions, thanks again!

I will run memtest overnight and post the results along with the dmp files in the morning.

I'm assuming one stick of RAM at a time means physically removing a stick from the laptop, or is there a way to configure memtest to check each stick individually?

Thanks.

I ran memtest on both sticks overnight, and after 7 passes it found no errors. I was intending on testing each stick individually but it got late and I didn't want to wake everyone in my house by rummaging through toolboxes looking for a screwdriver to take my computer apart.

Am I right in thinking that because memtest found no errors with both sticks, I no longer need to test them individually to find out which is the 'bad' one?

I've attached the dmp files for the last 3 bluescreens.
Thanks

Attachments

• dmp files.zip
    132 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Under the Network Adapters list in Device Manager I don't have Broadcom NetXtreme 57xxGigabit Controller, only Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (and an Atheros ethernet controller)

My device ID isn't listed on the Broadcom website (DEV_4357) and the only ones I can find via Google (which match laptop model number/OS) seem to be for a 4312 driver.
Link Removed - Invalid URL This is the closest I can find. Given that the driver version is the same (5.60.18.8) is it worth a download/install anyway?

I've attached a screenshot of device manager/network adapters, just in case I'm doing something horribly wrong.

As for Alcohol120%, you've really confused me there. I've never heard it and I can't find it installed on my computer nor can I find any drivers to update with on their website?

Apologies for my ignorance, this is all rather new to me.

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned this earlier I bought my laptop as a refurbished model. Could this be why the driver ID I have is different to what is listed online for my model?

Edit 2: I'm not using McAfee. The computer came installed with a 60 day free trial but I uninstalled it and I am using MSE.

Attachments

• broadcom properties.jpg
    broadcom properties.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
No sign of McAfee or Alcohol120% in add/remove programs, strange.

RadarSync tells me there's 22 outdated drivers on my computer (which doesn't surprise me) but then tells me it's £20 to pay for the program to download and install the drivers. I'm not totally against paying for things but £20 for a driver I'm not even certain will fix the problem seems like a waste of money to me.

Back
Top Bottom