Windows 7 A comment about Locate32!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I don't know if this is true for everyone but I found that when searching for files by the extension i.e. ".avi" I wasn't getting any results even though I knew I had a lot of .avi files.

The problem was that I was typing the dot before the extension in the search window. It's the way I have always done it to avoid getting anything else with avi in it.

It was driving me crazy, until I accidentally typed it without the dot.
All of a sudden all my files showed up.

I tried this with several other extensions as well and if I typed the dot before the extension it couldn't find any of the files.

So if you are having problems with it this may be why.

Mike

Try "*.avi" - the asterisk is the wildcard and is how to tell the searcher to look for all files with avi extension.

Obviously, "avi" alone worked for you, so cool. :)

Hi

Locate 32 has a separate window for inserting the file name and using the star still doesn't work if you ad the dot before the extension.

But I just figured out why adding the dot doesn't work.

I finally noticed that what happens is that Locate32 ads the dot automatically so that if you ad one yourself what it looks for is "*..avi", as a result it doesn't find anything!

At least I understand it now, I had always typed the dot when searching before.

Mike

Thats why Locate 32 has a line that says extentions just type in the extention you are lookiing for no dot needed. If you are looking for a file with a known name put the name in the named line and the extension in the extension line and it will find that specific file and extension

Yes I finally figured that out! LOL
I never found the instruction not to type the dot.

Back