A Few Issues

MagicDrop

Ok I am new to building computers. I set mine up about 2 months ago and unfortunately I didn't partition the drive(480GB SSD) like I should have. Is there anyway to do that now without losing all the content I currently have leaving 1 partition with my games and videos and such and a 2nd partition with just windows 10 on it? Also I have am 8TB External HDD if that can somehow help.

Also I ran a test on my PC from the user benchmark website and I was performing well in all areas except in the External HDD, and my Internal SSD (numbers like 100 transfer when the others I saw where at 500) Anyway to fix this or did I just get a slow SDD?

Grab Crystaldiskmark and post some screenshot of the benchmarks. Also, let's have a look at your disks in disk management

this is what I ended up getting

Attachments

• Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    37 KB · Views: 335
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 328
Well I was hoping to get windows on its own and then have the rest of my programs and games in a separate partition. the Seagate is just to hold photos and videos for storage

There are many ways round your problem.. I would suggest shrinking your system partition to as small as you feel comfortable with (75GB ?). Then using the unallocated space as a new drive for your games. Simples ;) In most situations this can be done through Computer Management as in your screenshot above.

Or you could use the old Win7 backup utility to create a system image of your current setup to your 8TB drive, reformat your NVMe drive and start again. Making an image means you loose nothing. It's a great way to move your fave operating systems around.
EDIT - IMPORTANT - If you haven't already, make sure your NVMe is set to be a GPT drive, not MBR, or modern BIOSes won't see it as a UEFI boot drive.

Last edited:
There are many ways round your problem.. I would suggest shrinking your system partition to as small as you feel comfortable with (75GB ?). Then using the unallocated space as a new drive for your games. Simples ;) In most situations this can be done through Computer Management as in your screenshot above.

Or you could use the old Win7 backup utility to create a system image of your current setup to your 8TB drive, reformat your NVMe drive and start again. Making an image means you loose nothing. It's a great way to move your fave operating systems around.
EDIT - IMPORTANT - If you haven't already, make sure your NVMe is set to be a GPT drive, not MBR, or modern BIOSes won't see it as a UEFI boot drive.
I’m a little confused. I can backup everything to my external drive. Then wipe my HD clean and partition it, but how do I move everything back properly? If I put games in 1 partition and say recording programs in another wouldn’t it be looking in C for those applications when in reality they will be in other drives now?

I also set up google drive and one drive and a backup image in google drive I think but I’m not sure how to turn all that stuff off as I’m not even sure they are working properly.

I am getting a 1TBSSD m.2 drive and I would like to take an old 750GB HDD drive in my PC but that has an old windows on it and a bunch of info can I just install it and wipe it clean after and it will still boot from my version of Windows?

WHen you get the M.2 remove the other drives and clean install. You can then add the drives and wipe as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom