Windows 7 A New UI in Windows 7??? It might be in the Offical RC!

Paul Thurott seems to think one of the two major Windows 7 announcements is a new Windows 7 UI, the second is probaly the OS's release date. Link Removed - Invalid URL .
"There are rumors, too, that a new UI is coming and it may make sense for Microsoft to hold on to that UI for the RTM builds, so that it has one last surprise to offer up to its eager fans. Indeed, the smartest thing Microsoft has done with Windows 7, in many ways, is keep the drama high by playing things close to the vest. That said, our first RTM-level build, build 7106, doesn't really offer anything in the way of revelation. (A newer build, 7107, has also leaked recently, and we can expect more to come in the days ahead."

What does everybody think??
I always thought that these beta builds were a little too much like vista (the look and feel). Like microsoft wanted to hide something, or they were holding back a big peice of the Windows 7 pie. Just would like to say, that I bet it is not gonna be a entire new UI, more like added features that aren't in the beta. Maybe like more Aero Features or something like that. I could be completely wrong! We will see.

Last edited:
This is great...but what could MS possibly change? The UI already looks drastically different from Vista's.

When will this announcement be made?

This is great...but what could MS possibly change? The UI already looks drastically different from Vista's.

Drastically...? To be honest I don't see any dramatic changes in the UI - apart from the new start menu bar (which I don't particularly like - it's got its pros (task bar pinning, ordering) and cons (no app context menu from taskbar, some apps cannot be pinned - that's why I still use separate QuickLaunch)) and standard dialogs having a more sensible layout there's really not much of a difference from Vista.

Ya know, I'm more concerned with the 7107 leak. I haven't seen it around anywhere....maybe Paul is slipping in his old age. :razz:

As for a new UI....it wouldn't surprise me if the RTM has a new UI...kind of a "Suprise!", I would almost guarantee that the RC won't though.

Well they have been saying since alpha build 6801 that there would be 2 big things left out until the RTM.. so it would make sense for the UI to be one of them.. but I have to agree with a couple of you on this one though.. I don't see how they could change it too much... I also like how it is now, I love the new taskbar and I hope they DON'T change that anymore at all! ;) But like one of you said.. We'll just have to wait and see.. :)

If they've come this far with the testing, and people are already talking about RTM, do you guys think MS would dare to implement great changes to the UI or anything else for that matter? That would require more testing and start over the whole RC/RTM process once more. I think that what we're seeing now will be pretty much what we'll have in the RTM, except for maybe a few more bug fixes, etc.

Hi all
How "New" is new.
Since Microsoft obviously want W7 takeup to be as big and as fast as possible any significant difference in the UI could cause a bit of confusion and a learning curve.

Apart from the typical VISTA wrangles just look at the complaints there were over the look and feel of VISTA compared with XP -- and if you didn't switch XP (or even VISTA) back to "The classic look" there really wasn't a HUGE amount of difference in the GUI apart from some user themes and AERO glass.

It's not like Linux where there really is a difference such as KDE, XFCE, GNOME and many other window managers --all significantly different from each other.

On a similar Forum to this one there's a long long thread going on about how people want the old classic start menu back. If just changing that small item is causing so much anguish from people who probably are streets ahead in computer literacy than the normal home user then just imagine what a fuss significant change in the GUI will cause.

I'm all in favour of adding to themes and allowing as much user customisation as possible but if the underlying design is good why change it just for the sake of it.

As old engineers always say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Cheers
jimbo

Hi all
As old engineers always say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I think what needs to be remembered, is that Microsoft is attempting to galvanize it's Goliath hold on the Operating System market. That's a good mentality, used by many-a company like BMW, but eventually you have to refresh something majorly.

I hope they surprise us with something good. FYI, I've got a little hunch that MS will drag the RC out till at the doorstep of, or after Apple's WWDC.

Jack

Things seem very quite for now on the news front . Desperately searching the net for a new piece of news on Windows 7 but its all the same for now :(

Things seem very quite for now on the news front . Desperately searching the net for a new piece of news on Windows 7 but its all the same for now :(

Tell me 'bout it, man... Need to reinstall Windows this weekend (selling X25-M SSD after short testing) and was hoping for a new build to come out. Looks like I'll be installing 7077 :) Been on 7057 for a few weeks and generally pretty happy. Stable, really pleasantly surprised by networking performance - copying W7 to W7 over Gbit gives >40 MB/s, copying from my Linux home server (RAID5) gives >70 MB/s.

I too think there won't be any big surprises and major changes in the UI - and I certainly hope there won't.

Have a good weekend everybody
Pete

i hope any new user ui looks like the windows 3.1 interface. that interface was so sexy, it made my blood boil. Win 3.11 was the best version of windows ever, ever since then windows has gone down hill. i hope they actually go back to dos and windows with windows 8. no one ever hears of dos being attacked any more do they.

i hope any new user ui looks like the windows 3.1 interface. that interface was so sexy, it made my blood boil. Win 3.11 was the best version of windows ever, ever since then windows has gone down hill. i hope they actually go back to dos and windows with windows 8. no one ever hears of dos being attacked any more do they.

Wow! You are joking ?

... Man, did you really just say that?

... Man, did you really just say that?

:))
I wonder how many people here really do remember Windows 3.1... When we got our first PC (outrageously overpriced 486 DX2 66, 4 MB of RAM, 250 MB HDD - I know - what a machine, took us a long time to get it back in 1994 in the Czech Republic), it had Windows 3.1 EN preinstalled and I quicly reinstalled it to Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (to be honest, I don't really remember the exact name now... how sad... it might have something to do with that sixpack of Stronbow I just downed though :-D ). Anyone who actually worked with a system like that (no native TCP/IP stack, _very_ spartan UI) can't take a statement like that seriously.
On the other hand, to be honest - nothing _BIG_ happened in the UI since then - I know, it's been marketed as a big WOW, especially lately - but it's really been just small slow changes making ye olde Windows (TM) a bit more user friendly. Desktop icons, task switching, better standard dialogues... but no biggie.
Since the news's been coming kinda slow lately I'd really like to hear your experiences (especially 'historically') and thoughts on this :) I'm (or at least feel) pretty young myself at 30 but stuff like booting a 386 SX 20 PC, 2 MB RAM off a HD floppy with DOS 5 and running a Doom off it while battling for the last KB of conventional RAM seem _really_ ancient now :-D
Enjoy yer Sunday guys (any YLs ere I wonder?)
Pete (M0WTF/OK1THA)

First computer a 486

Yes I had a 486 with 4 megs of ram and Intel Inside :) it was just b4 1995 and it along with a printer cost me over a £1000 pound ! Boy did I feel proud then in a few months they bought out the first pentium and suddenly my 486 was old n decrepid :)
How times fly

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back