About Dism /online /cleanup-image /restore-health

davidhk129

I had read a few threads about ........
1. Error 87
2.That it is not applicable to Win 7.

Since I have 3 machines with different versions of OS, I decided to check it out.
On each machine, I ran sfc /scannow, then after that, dism.
I found a thing or 2 perplexing.....
On my Dell laptop running Win8.1.1 Pro, sfc found no intergrety violation, but dism said corruption was repaired successfully. ( see screenshot #1.)

On my Acer Iconia W3-810 tablet running Win 8.1, sfc found no integrity violation, but dism returned with error 87, restore health option is not recognized.( see screenshot #2).

Same result applies to my Acer Aspire Win 7 Home Premium SP1.(see screenshot #3).

Can someone clearify for me ?
I might be able to explain screenshot #1. A few days ago, sfc was unable to repair corrupt files. Dism did the repair job for me.

But, most importantly why the error code 87 ?

Screenshot #1 from Dell laptop, Win 8.1.1Pro
1.png

Screenshot#2 from Acer Iconia tablet, Win 8.1
2.png

Screenshot#3 from Win 7 Home Premium
3.png

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Could it be the hyphen between restore and health on the two that failed and no hyphen in the same place on the one that apparently succeeded?

davidhk129

Thank you for pointing it out. But, without the hyphen, the result is still error code 87.

This screenshot is from my Win 7 computer.

Image 3.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Do the other two switches also result in the same error
/ScanHealth
/CheckHealth

davidhk129

ScanHealth is running in both my Acer Iconia windows 8.1 tablet and Acer Aspire laptop Win 7 Home Premium.
Will take a while to finish.
I'll assume that CheackHealth will work too.

So, what gives on RestoreHealth ?
Don't tell me it returns error 87 because there is nothing to repair....... ha ha ha.

davidhk129

The plot thicken...............

On my Win 7 laptop :
ScanHealth ran successfully.
CheckHealth returned error 87.
Image 7.png

On my Windows tablet, both ScanHealth and CheckHealth ran through successfully.
Image 6.png

Attachments

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Don't tell me it returns error 87 because there is nothing to repair
Most of the references that I can find regarding that particular error suggest a syntax error with spacing, spelling or missing or incorrect slashes before the various switches..... which doesn't appear to be the case at all.
So maybe the /ScanHealth or /CheckHealth may provide some insight. If not maybe consider perusing the log file.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Well on the Windows 7 machine I believe that some of the DISM command line switches are unavailable.
Have you performed a /? switch after the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image to see if the /RestoreHealth switch is available for Windows 7?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Nevermind just fired up my Win7 Hyper-V VM and the DISM commands are seriously depricated before Windows 8
DISM_Win7.PNG

Well on the Windows 7 machine I believe that some of the DISM command line switches are unavailable.
Have you performed a /? switch after the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image to see if the /RestoreHealth switch is available for Windows 7?
In case you have overlooked......
My Win 8.1 tablet also returns error 87 on RestoreHealth option.

OK result of /? switch......
Apparently my Win 7 is missing RestoreHealth and CheckHealth options.
That explains why both commands failed.
SO...... how do I have the missing switches restored to my Win 7?

1.png

Wait. My Win 7 is a pre-installed OS.
It has never been upgraded.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
In case you have overlooked......
My Win 8.1 tablet also returns error 87 on RestoreHealth option.
Haven't forgotten or overlooked.... just thought we would deal with one device at a time.

SO...... how do I have the missing switches restored to my Win 7?
As best I can tell.... It ain't gonna happen. The DISM utility in Windows 7 was still barely emerging from its' infancy. It has become more robust with Windows 8 and going forward but as of this point it doesn't seem to be retro'd back to Win7.

Now regarding your tablet.....
I was hoping that the two other switches after having completed would provide some insight but..... that doesn't seem to be the case.
So, can I suggest a "Clean Boot"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
And attempting the /RestoreHealth under those conditions.

OK. If I gather up enough courage, I may do a Recover.
The tablet comes with 2 Recovery Disks
Being a tablet which does not have a dvd/dw drive, I bought an ext. dvd/dw drive.
I am still waiting ( from eBay) for my Micro USB Dual OTG Hub Cable in order to connect my ext. drive to my tablet.

I won't dwell into this subject anymore.

Thank you.

Help requested.

I have been trying to repair my laptop filesystem using DISM. Previous attempts have failed (source not found). Today I try with a slightly different command line and get Access Denied.

I reduced the command line to

dism /Online

and still get Access Denied.

This is being run under Win 10 Administrator Command Prompt, as before.

Can anyone advise me what I have done wrong, and how to continue.

- Roger =

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Previous attempts have failed (source not found).
You need to specify your source
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
Where "X" is the location of your installation files (DVD or mounted Windows 10 ISO)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.