Windows 7 Absolutely NO sound card driver will install properly

kimmiek

I'm about to lose it....so I'll make this quick as I can...Sound card drivers, no matter if they're for onboard or PCI will not install properly. This is the only thing I can't get to work on Win7. I upgraded from XP. Also, my keyboard won't work during bootup so I can't get into BIOS to disable onboard sound. Until I can find a keyboard that works, drivers for onboard sound are what I'm focusing on getting to work. Here are the details and everything I've done so far.

PC Info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name KIM-PC
System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario
System Model RR790AA-ABA SR2150NX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.46GHz, 3458 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.04, 11/30/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
(tell me if u need more)

Onboard Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio
Hardware I'ds:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A4F&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A4F

PCI Sound Card (physically removed from the pc currently to force pc to use onboard, but needs to work):
Sound Blaster Audigy SE (model:SB0570)
Hardware I'ds:
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_040100
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&CC_0401

Here's what I've done:
- started out trying to get the Sound Blaster to work but stopped once I read onboard sound needs to be disabled in BIOS which i can't access using this keyboard for some reason
- device manager showed exclamation point in a yellow triangle and gave the error "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" for the Realtek card
- uninstalled drivers thru device mgr, ran the install file for the downloaded drivers (retrieved from a link posted here in this forum) using Vista sp2 compatibility mode and run as administrator
- install started but inevitably stops and I get "Driver software was not successfully installed."
- it starts to detect problems and gives me "Problems Found: Realtek HD Audio has a driver problem-- Not Fixed"
- i get no where at that point....
- i've installed all the Windows Updates available so far
- i attempted to run a BIOS update from Compaq for this pc model but it won't start. I get the error "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)"
- also along with the Realtek it shows Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers..same error in device mgr (cannot load device driver...code 39)
- my keyboard is a Logitech black/thin illuminated, USB connection...works fine after bootup...just won't respond to ESC or any F keys during bootup....in case someone knows why this is happening too

I'm literally about to wipe this freakin OS off and put XP back on. I love everything else about Win7 though and would hate to lose it. I need sound...no doubt...before I pull my hair out. Thanks in advance for all guidance and suggestions :)

Try a different USB port. As you say once you can get into the bios it should all be downhill from thereon..

I also noted that you 'upgraded from XP' I would think that some of problems come from that and a clean install would a far better proposition (although until you get into the bios this is going to be difficult)

Try a different USB port. As you say once you can get into the bios it should all be downhill from thereon..

I also noted that you 'upgraded from XP' I would think that some of problems come from that and a clean install would a far better proposition (although until you get into the bios this is going to be difficult)

I've tried all the ports- no dice. During the install of the OS we ended up having to use a rinky dink plain old USB keyboard to get into the BIOS. That keyboard is back at the location where the install was done...faaah faaah away :( I also had a keyboard with a ps/2 connector that I gave away and it has since been given away once more....So you see my dilemma here. I'm sure i can get my hands on another kb tomorrow/today and give this "clean uninstall" a go. Are there some clear-cut instructions to follow for this "overly hygeinic uninstall" that I can get my paws on?

Has there been anyone out there that was able to get their SB Audigy working again? I know you can buy them Walmart but they work fairly well. Very nice sound for home office/personal space type environments. :D

I use the same card and although it has reduced functionality under vista/7 it works fine..

If you do get another working k'board and can get into the bios, all you'll need to do is change the boot order so it boots from DVD first. Then reboot with the windows 7 disk in the drive and hit any key when asked. You can then install as would XP.

Drivers for the sound blaster can be found here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL SE&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster

I presume that the OP didn't do an upgrade-in-place from XP, as that is not supposed to be permitted by the installer. Only a "custom" install would be allowed. (It's possible to install Vista as an upgrade over XP, and then Win7 over that, but I hope that he/she would have mentioned that.)

Does the PC have a PS/2 port for a keyboard? A PS/2 keyboard ought to allow access to the BIOS.

I presume that the OP didn't do an upgrade-in-place from XP, as that is not supposed to be permitted by the installer. Only a "custom" install would be allowed. (It's possible to install Vista as an upgrade over XP, and then Win7 over that, but I hope that he/she would have mentioned that.)

Does the PC have a PS/2 port for a keyboard? A PS/2 keyboard ought to allow access to the BIOS.

I didn't install as an upgade. Booted from disc and "custom" installed...had it entirely overwrite the current partition because I didn't care if any data was lost...everything worth anything is on my external hdd. Also, the keyboard issue, I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that it didn't come with the PC. I borrowed an HP brand kb (USB connection) and it's able to be used just fine during boot up. So with that working, I disabled onboard audio in the BIOS, then saved the setting. Shut the PC down, added the SB Audigy card booted up and the drivers were automatically installed 100% and installed successfully, so it said. BUT....I still saw the familiar little speaker with a red X on it next to the time on the task bar. Clicked it....same crap...detecting problem...driver has a problem...code 39 in device mgr....I haven't been home in several days so I'm just now getting the chance to attempt to fix this. Next step will be another clean install I guess. If that doesn't work then XP is coming back.

I've got a problem fairly similar to the OP's.

My PCI sound card is a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE, and it was working fine in XP with the on-board disabled in the BIOS. I am now dual-booting with Windows 7 (x86) and Windws 7 simply doesn't see that there's any sound hardware attached. Device Manager showed an audio device that it said it had insufficient resources to utilize, I re-enabled the onboard audio and those drivers installed fine and the error in Device Manager went away. However, I simply cannot get it to notice the hardware attached in the PCI slot, and nothing in Device Manager reports not having a driver.

It still works fine in XP, so I might just stick with that for now =(

Have you tried a different PCI slot? I use that sound card and it's fine for the most part...

Yes, I disabled the Onboard audio and tried a different PCI slot. I didn't assume it would work, as there was no trouble with the slot in XP. And indeed it was exactly the same. I booted back to XP and it saw the card in the new slot and installed the drivers for it.

I'm going to go ahead and chalk it up to an ancient motherboard, it's an Asus A8V-X (Socket 939, AGP video Bus) for which there aren't even Vista drivers available from Asus' website!

same motherboard, same problem

same motherboard, same problem

My hard drive died the other day, so I thought it would be a good time to install Windows 7. I previously had Windows XP installed with no problems. Upon installation of Windows 7 though, it just doesn't see my Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series soundcard. It looks to me as though it's a conflict with the onboard sound despite it being disabled in the BIOS. There's an HD Audio Device present with a "No available resources" error. If I re-enable the onboard sound, the device finds its resources and the error disappears.

I've tried both the x64 and x86 versions of Windows 7. My next step is reverting the BIOS from 0703 to 0602 to see if it makes any difference. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try installing Vista for the heck of it.

I'm afraid remvad that the current thinking is that the board might be a little too old? Is flashing the bios really worth it? As your aware it's a dodgy process at the best of times and I just wonder if it's worth the risk? :)

Yep

Yeah, it was definitely dodgy. A failure or incomplete load would be justification for me to buy a new PC though. I gave up after it failed to load the BIOS three times. It would read the file from floppy and then hang. It didn't start the erase and write process.

I loaded Vista and found the same problems as with 7. Pretty much what I expected. It's back on good ole XP.

At least it survived the bios flash.. What will you do now? Wait until you upgrade?

Back to XP

Yeah, I will wait until I can upgrade. It's really time. The AGP video card isn't cutting it anymore.

Any ideas on what your thinking of next? ATI? Nvidia?
The 5870 looks tempting but I think waiting for the green team release would be prudent also..

Back