Windows 7 "Access is denied" ... but I own it...

rlincolnh

Extraordinary Member
To keep the story short (and avoid embarrassment to myself)... I have a file (.exe) to which everyone supposedly has full permissions, except that with explorer I cannot delete it, copy it, or move it. I can take ownership of it, but the same situation still exists. I **know** (because there were two copies of it in a folder/subfolder) that with an elevated CMD I can delete it. But CMD still can't copy it or move it.

Whether or not it is significant I don't know, but the (full) permissions are inherited from the parent object, which is " Unknown UserS-1-5-21-xxxx...-xxx....-xxx...-xxx " which, of course, doesn't exist in the profile list in the registry.

As I said, I know I can delete this 1 remaining copy, but I really wanted to upload it to VirusTotal to see what they make of it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how I can really get ownership/control of this file?

Taking ownership doesn't grant you permissions, it only grants you the ability to grant permissions. You need to take ownership then give yourself access then delete/move it.

• TAKEOWN /f <filename>
  • CACLS <FILENAME> /E /G <username>:F
Then you should be able to delete or move it. If you get a 'try again' prompt then some process may have an open handle to it or the exe is running. Download Process Explorer and do a 'Find Handle', enter the exe name and it should tell you where it's open and you can close the handle(s). Then delete/move it.

*OPTIONAL*
You can check virus total with only the file's hash.
  • Open PowerShell
  • Type Get-FileHash -Path <path to file> -Algorithm MD5
  • Copy and paste the hash in virus total

Blush!
Long story short again - that file is **completely** untouchable/unreadable/un-anything from within W7. Boot into XP and I can do whatever I like with it. It turns out that it had fallen into the clutches of MSE, which hadn't managed to attract my attention to the fact.
Please accept my apologies.

I ran it through VirusTotal, and it failed about 45/60.

Back