Windows 8 Account Picture Error

Have you also had this problem?

• Yes and it still occurs

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes but it is fixeed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pinkdolphins

I've recently been having problems with setting my account picture. It will come up with an error every time I try to change it. I haven't changed my account picture in 6 days nor been on my computer in 6 days (which I doubt affects it). I actually had this problem before (a month and a week ago to be precise) so I sent an email to Microsoft Customer Support and then they had sent an email back with four different methods of fixing the problem, which was a fix at the time. These were the methods (directly copied and pasted- not edited in any way):

Method 1:

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter.

a. Press Windows Key + W

b. In the search box, type troubleshooting.

c. Click on troubleshooting.

d. Click on View all.

e. Click on system maintenance.

f. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 2:

Let's test the issue in clean boot status. Please refer to the link. How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: After troubleshooting, revert the computer to start as usual (Refer to "Step 3" from the link mentioned above)

Method 3:

Try running the SFC scan and check if that helps.

a) Move the mouse pointer to bottom left of the screen where you see preview of start menu and Right-click to bring up a list of Windows settings.

b) Click on 'Command Prompt (Admin)' to bring up elevated command prompt. Note: Click 'Yes' if it prompts for permission.

c) In the command prompt type in the following command: 'sfc /scannow'.

Method 4:

Create a new local account and check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps to create a local account:

a) Press 'Windows + W' key to search Settings.

b) Type "Users" without quotes and press enter.

c) To create new user account click on the plus sign (+) 'Add a User'.

------------

The thing that solved my issue last time was method 2 so I didn't try the other two. This time I got to method 3 (trying all the other ones apart from method 4) and when I did method 3 I got a result of having corrupt files which couldn't be fixed unless done manually.

Unfortunately, computers are something im not really good at fixing (unless getting rid of a basic virus along with some information from the internet) so when I tried researching how to find and fix corrupt files, I didn't understand a word of what I was reading.

Any replies/help to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. I'm new to this forum so the poll is a bit messed up and I don't know how to change it because I accidentally pressed enter and it posted while writing all the options for the poll so ignore it if you can :confused_smile::regular_smile:*-)

Here's a screenshot of the results from the command pompt

Attachments

• Command Prompt screenshot.png
    Command Prompt screenshot.png
    902.6 KB · Views: 411
Hi

You don't have an option in your poll for "I never had this problem".

What kind of error do you get?

To change my account picture, from the search box in Metro, I type in, "Account Picture", and then select, Account Picture from the list.

That takes me to a page that shows my account pictures that I have used with the selected one at the top, and has a browse button.

When I select browse it takes me to the folder that I had my last used image is in, but I could navigate to another folder if I needed to.

I can select an alternate, and it appears in the large image at the top.

So what happens when you do that?

What format is the image you are trying to select?
Maybe you could try converting it to a .bmp, which is a native Windows file, though mine are all .jpg

How large is the image? I'm not sure it makes any difference, but maybe it can be too big.

Where is the image stored?

Have you tried loading different images from different locations?

Does the image open OK in Photoshop or something like that?

Mike

Hi,
sometimes the files it can't repair are of no consequence. You can check on which files by opening the CBS log the address of which is on the above screenshot. In fact if you make a copy, zip it up and send it in we'll check it for you.

Thanks very much for both reply's. In reply to the bit about the poll not having enough options I accidentally posted without finishing it, and I don't know how to edit it (which is also why there is a spelling mistake in one of the options) and I only found out how to edit the actual post.

Also it seems to be working now (despite trying to change it 10 times earlier all at different times) and I haven't turned it off since I've been on it.

When it wasn't working I only tried to change it directly from a new camera picture (using the camera option) and it came up with something along the lines of 'setting the account picture failed'. I didn't try any of the gallery pictures because I don't really have any. I could access folders and previously used ones etc...

If I have the same problem again though, i'll post another reply.

Once again, thanks for both replys :)

p.s. is it possible to change what the poll says?

Back
Top Bottom