"Adapter experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems"

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by DeadlyEric, Oct 11, 2016.

1. DeadlyEric

DeadlyEric New Member

So, I'm kind of a noob with computers. I really only know the basics. So when I encountered this problem, I was just a little confused. Just a little. So I logged onto my computer one day, and I see this "!" on my log in screen on the bottom right where my connection usually is. So I have no internet connection. But as I troubleshoot the problem I come up with this "Adapater is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems". So my question is, anyone know what kinda "driver or hardware" problem I'm facing? And if there's anyway I can fix it? Because ever since this happened I'm unable to connect to the internet via my Ethernet cable which is causing a bunch of lag with my computer since my router is more setup for Ethernet cables.

2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

• Press Windows key + x
    • Select Device Manager
    • Right click the device in question (should have the yellow ! on it)
    • Under Device Status there should be a code
    Optionally, you can try and right click on the device and select uninstall. Reboot and test. If that doesn't work you can try visiting the manufacturer site and download the most current driver for your device and install that.

3. DeadlyEric

DeadlyEric New Member

Yes. Under the "Device Status" it says

This device cannot start (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
    The requested operation was unsuccessful.

What exactly is this code 10? Like I said, not really a big expert at computers

4. Neemobeer

Staff Member

It means exactly that. Windows could not start the device. This is generally either a problem with the driver, reinstall the driver. The other possibilities are your device isnt supported in Win 10 or there is a hardware problem, in which case the device will need to be replaced.

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Try what Neemo suggested by uninstalling the device and rebooting your computer.
    That will usually fix issues like this if it's just a driver or configuration problem.

It forces Windows to identify the device, find a driver for it, and configure it to work on your computer.

Windows is very good at this, it actually does it even before Windows gets installed during the installation process.

Mike

William B likes this.
  6. DeadlyEric

DeadlyEric New Member

I did this, but it still didn't work. After I deleted it, and restarted my computer, it replaced it with the same broken one again. Here is a screenshot of my problem

Screenshot (1).

It just replaced it with the same broken network adapter. Not sure if it's a problem with the Ethernet cable, or one of my drivers, but whatever it is, it's causing the "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller" to not connect to my internet anymore

7. Neemobeer

Staff Member

Bad cables won't cause a driver issue. Per reply #2 you will want to try the manufacturer site and look for a newer driver version and install it.

8. DeadlyEric

DeadlyEric New Member

Could you give me the link for this "manufacturer website"? Thanks.
    Could you give me the link to this "manufacturer website"? Thanks.

9. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

You don't get the get the drivers from the "manufacturer website" the company that builds the network adapter chip or card, you must get it from the manufacturer of your computer's website! In order for us to help you, you need to tell us the EXACT Make/Model of your computer? Is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM computer (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, etc.)? Or if you self-built your PC from parts you purchased or bought it custom-built from a shop that assembled components to your specifications, then we need full hardware specs on the Motherboard (Make/Model #), GPU card, RAM sticks, and PSU (Power Supply) Make/Model/Wattage. Since you are a "noob" to computers, you should know that this is information that is customary for you to post here in order for us to help you; or for anyone on any other Tech forum to help you as well.;)

Post back your information, and we'll give you the exact website page you need to download your network drivers, Ok?

Best,:encouragement:
    <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :pumpkin: