Windows 10 Administrative shares go missing on restart

kryptonitecomputers

Just after upgrading to the new Windows 10 anniversary update, I'm having problems with my network shares going offline after computer restarts and hibernation. The shared folders that I have set up are hidden/administrative type shares with the $ symbol at the end of the share name. After a restart, all of the shares that I set up go missing from the settings in computer management.

I have found that I can restore all of the shares back into a working state by restarting the server service, but this is a problem when somebody around the house tries to log into a shared folder on the network, and they do not have administrative credentials.

Does anybody know of a more official way of getting this to stop happening, rather than restarting the service occasionally? I use the computer and its shares both for movie/music streaming around the house, and for nightly backups of our laptops. It's a bit of a chore to have to manually restart the service daily.

If you can perform a clean install then that might save you a lot of stress.. Many who upgraded to the AU have had issues whilst users like myself who clean installed from the get go have seen no issues at all.
You can download the ISO from here:
Windows 10 This is the iso for the AU as well.

Unfortunately, it seems that the issue still exists when I swapped the hard drive and tried a fresh install.

Regular folder shares continue to operate as expected. The problem only occurs with administrative shares. I'm wondering if there is a toggle or setting somewhere that was changed with the anniversary update?

Back
Top Bottom