Windows 7 aero feature displays wrong on all open windows

djjoshchambers

Almost daily now when I open any application the bar at the top or all 4 sides of the open window display weird. They are not the correct color and are too transparent. The minimize, maximize and close buttons do not show correctly either. I suspect this happens after I wake the PC up and a quick reboot fixes the problem. As you can see from my attachment the color at the top of the IE window should be the same shade of blue as the task bar but it isnt.

Has anyone else seen this and if so do you know how to fix it? Its getting annoying having to reboot a couple times a day to fix it.

I'm running:
windows 7 64 bit
AMD 64 X2 4600+ 2.4Ghz
3.00GB Ram

Last edited:
You did not advise on a graphics adapter. You might need to update the graphic drivers. I have ATI Radeon 3650 for my graphics. I got the correct drivers amazingly from the Windows Update in Windows 7. I have not had this problem but it looks like your graphics adapter is not being correctly re initialized from low power state. If you don't have ATI, you can probably use Vista x86 or x64 Nvidia or Intel drivers. Hope this helps

I did also get the updated drivers from windows 7 update. I'm wondering if that driver if faulty and I should revert back to the old vista driver I had? It has to be the video card now because last night I installed build 7022 and I'm still having the problem when it returns from sleep.

You can try to use the driver from Vista (of course with x86 or x64 depending on your Windows version). Luckily, my ATI driver seems to be in good working order. Which graphics adapter are you using?

I'm running a Geforce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3. Do you know how to remove the driver I have in windows 7 so I can go back and use the old one?

I'm now on the x84 version of windows also. I couldnt find x64 build 7022.

You can manually remove through Device Manager with admin priviledges. It might be painful, but it would be your best bet. Just go to the device manager and go to the properties of your display adapter. Then tab over and click on the "uninstall" button on the drivers tab. You will have to do a restart after that. When you are done with that and restarted, I'd personally recommend you go to the built in Windows Update and get the driver from there. I got my ATI driver installed from Windows Update and its trouble free.

windows update is where I got my driver this time. I'm thinking that driver is my problem. I'm going to unistall it and then leave the vista driver on it and hope all is well.

just a quick update. I removed my updated driver that windows 7 gave me and reinstall my old vista driver and it seems to be working just fine now. It seems it was indeed a driver problem.

Back
Top Bottom