Windows 8 After 158 updates - the computer is restarting... forever!

Grant Kempton

My daughter has had her new computer for a month, running Windows 8. It seems no one set up the automatic update (it's all in Turkish so someone has to do it for me) so now, when we couldn't download windows 10 we realised this was because we needed to first update 158 updates to windows 8. This took all night. When we, following instructions, restarted the computer, it stayed at 'restarting computer' for nearly two hours. It is still there.

I'm assuming something is wrong. What should I do?

Hi Grant,
you may have done nothing wrong and the update process is just taking it's time. Is it still showing the same screen?

Also do you have anything like a system repair disk or even a Windows 8 install disk?

Can you post the computer make and model.

Thanks kemical. You are right. After a total of 14 hours it suddenly went into download mode and ten minutes later everythign was working normally. Now, let's hope it'll let me get windows 10 ;) Thanks for your quick response.

Grant in order for you to qualify for the Win 10 upgrade you will need to upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 first.
Updating to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Windows Help

Here's a general FAQ:
Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ - Windows Help

Once you've upgraded to 8.1 update it again and you should get the update which allows you to upgrade to windows 10. If not you can hurry the process up by using the media creation tool on this page:
Windows 10

The media tool will also have a compatibility test so you can make sure the machine is compatible.

Any problems post back and best of luck!

Back