Windows 10 After the recent upgrade for win 10, snipping tool fails

Nigel Garnett

My snipping tool was OK until a fairly major update on Win10 a few days ago.

It will only work on my console background, for everything else it appears as if the film which occurs when active is too thick to see thro. If you guess and try to snip all you get is black.

I've used the disk checking s/w for errors and it came up clean.

HELP .... I use it a lot

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
if you right click on the Start menu icon you'll see a menu revealed. Click admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If it doesn't work then again in the same admin command prompt type (or copy and paste):
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results ( longer this time ).

Hi kemical .Thanks for your prompt reply and assistance.

sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results. Found and repaired errors.

If it doesn't work then again in the same admin command prompt type (or copy and paste):
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Reported restore was successful.

Checked the snip after each scan but still had the same problem, this is so frustrating.

Can I remove and restore the 'snip' ??
Can I use restore but it appeared to be a large update ??

Regards

Nigel

Hi Kemical,

I've tried Jing and I get the same problem, I can't see what I want to snip, I just get a black screen

Nige

Can you post the make and model of the machine your using, thanks.

Your very welcome! Post back if the issue continues but in any case please let us know the outcome as it may help others. Good luck! :)

I used the auto route for the driver updates (4 off), the 4th was manual instal of BIOS. it's always a bit scary with that because your not too sure what it's doing.
Sadly it didn't fix my problem, it's difficult to understand how it works on my background picture and nothing else !!!

Regards

Nigel

Why not try system restore and go back to a point before the update was installed? Although ultimately this would only be a temporary fix.
One way round it would be to take a screenshot of the whole screen and then simply crop it to what you want.
If you press 'print screen' on the keyboard to take the screenshot.
Open the Paint application.
Place cursor inside of the paint app and press ctrl+v.
You can then use Paint to crop what part of the screenshot you want.

Are you running any special desktop backgrounds?

On the options with the Snipping Tool, there is an option to "show screen overlay". You might try unchecking that option for testing and then go back later to see if it helps.

I just installed a couple of updates this morning. One was even for getting the Windows 10 system ready to install Windows 10... But I have not noticed a change with the Snipping tool.

Well it's fixed

I did the restore back to 19Aug and struggled to find the snippimg tool, seach stopped working. Found it and it was working, did the snips I needed.

Then tried to undo the restore but the older sw couldn't cope with that, so just settled for reloading the Win10 updates.

No further updates to download and the snipping tool is still ok.

I can only think that removal and restore of updates got rid of whatever corruption occured.

Very happy bunny now, thanks for all the assistance, very much appreciated.

Brightens up the miserable weather we've got in the UK at present.

Regards

Nige

Glad to hear you got it working Nigel. Any further issues post back.

Hi,

I fixed my print screen problem for the CTRL + PRTSC to paste into paint using the Windows key pressing the PRTSC key at the same time. Now, I still cannot get the Snipping Tool to capture a screen shot on an ASUS Windows 10 Republic of Gamer's Laptop. So, is there another solution because I am not doing a system restore.
I had bought a new computer from and the Standard hard drive died and had to take it to Geek Squad under warranty and have it upgraded to an SSD hard drive that it should have been built with from the get go.
The techs reinstalled Windows 10 and this function quit working.

The laptop model is: ASUS G752V Built 03/2016.

Kaspersky internet security suite is installed and fully operational.
Could this program cause the problem or is it something else?

Glad to hear you got it working Nigel. Any further issues post back.
Hi,

I fixed my print screen problem for the CTRL + PRTSC to paste into paint using the Windows key pressing the PRTSC key at the same time. Now, I still cannot get the Snipping Tool to capture a screen shot on an ASUS Windows 10 Republic of Gamer's Laptop. So, is there another solution because I am not doing a system restore.
I had bought a new computer from and the Standard hard drive died and had to take it to Geek Squad under warranty and have it upgraded to an SSD hard drive that it should have been built with from the get go.
The techs reinstalled Windows 10 and this function quit working.

The laptop model is: ASUS G752V Built 03/2016.

Kaspersky internet security suite is installed and fully operational.
Could this program cause the problem or is it something else?

#18 Kathy, Today at 1:59 AM

Hi Kathy,
try running the sfc scanner to see if repairs the issue:

If you right click on the Start menu icon you'll see a menu revealed. Click admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Back
Top Bottom