Ampersand Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by bluemutiny, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bluemutiny

bluemutiny New Member

Hey there!

Recently my ampersand key just stopped working. It's only the ampersand, the #7 key underneath it and every other key works just fine, but not the ampersand. Using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks!

Robbie.

2. bluemutiny

bluemutiny New Member

I need to bump this as I use ampersands a lot in programming and thus this is quite a major issue for me...

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Can I assume nothing prints with the & key? Can I also assume all the other shift functions work correctly from both shift keys?

Is there any possibility the key combination has been assigned? I will look into this possibility more.

Just for the heck of it, have you turned your keyboard over to shake it?

4. bluemutiny

bluemutiny New Member

Hey! Yep, you'd be right on both counts. I don't know if it's been assigned but I doubt it since I'm pretty sure I haven't installed anything. Just gave the keyboard a good shake with no luck :p

5. Saltgrass

Have you tried another keyboard?

6. bluemutiny

bluemutiny New Member

Hey,

Just tried it with a normal PS2 keyboard (the one that won't show the ampersand is a USB one) and it works fine on the PS2. So I'm guessing it's related to the keyboard drivers or something?

7. Saltgrass

Only one key not working would seem to be a keyboard problem. You might try another USB keyboard, or at least use a different USB plug.

8. bluemutiny

bluemutiny New Member

Hmm, tried a different plug, didn't help. Don't really want to buy a new keyboard, can't begin to comprehend why only half of one key isn't working...

9. Imar de Vries

Imar de Vries New Member

Hi, I recently encountered the same problem. Ampersand is not working, neither is Shift-9 or Shift-Del. The shift keys are WORKING, the 7, 9 and Del keys as well, just not in their three specific combinations. I have a MS Comfort 2000 keyboard that has functioned without any problems so far, and I have no other software running that might steal keyboard shortcuts.

The only clue that I have found online is that it might have something to do with the multimedia buttons on the keyboard; I rarely use the Play/Pause key but a few days ago I did. Can't seem to undo whatever it is that that button might have done, resetting the keys to their default behavior did not help at least.

10. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Have you (or a third party program), possibly switched the keyboard language? Hold the left "Alt" key and press the left "Shift" key, and then release them. This changes between languages. Then try the & again. If this is succesful, you can check your keyboard language settings. Control Panel - Regional and Language options.

11. Fallis

Fallis New Member

I had this happen recently and it turned out to be the keyboard. It was a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. Plugging in a new keyboard fixed it.