Windows 7 An OS dilemna

Just run the script and it will show the key for your installed OS.
EDIT: You cannot use the key from your installed Ultimate system on another system.

If you going to install Premium then no need to modify the ei.cfg but you will need your Premium key. Once installed and activated you could save them items for a future clean install.

I got out my Dell upgrade dvd they sent from Vista 64 to 7 64 which is also premium. I compared to that MS Technet dvd and they are identical except the ei.cfg and this disk is an OEM.
[EditionID]
HomePremium
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

You can see mine is OEM and yours is Retail
Thanks for the reply. I have several more questions:
1. My original question is how do I do a clean install once the DVD has been copied to HDD and the ei.cfg file has been deleted. Do I somehow burn a new DVD and if so, is it supposed to still be bootable? Or do I run setup.exe directly from the HDD? I normally boot from it.
2. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if the ei.cfg says OEM or Retail?
3. I ran your script on my laptop (not the one I plan to do the clean install) and got a PID number and Product Key. Do I use the Product Key? It matched my sticker.
Thanks
Pete

Last edited:
1. You have to burn a bootable dvd and you can use several programs to do that.
2. No I mean once deleted it doesn't matter what version you want to install. I have been comparing the win 7 disks for some time and they are identical except the 1 file. If someone had an ultimate dvd and wanted to install premium on another computer provided they had the right key and stuff for that PC. Like if the thing crashed and needed a reinstall then they could do this. They installing same system on same PC that is licensed for the OS then that is not a violation of any EULA
3. You cannot use your key from your existing on the other PC, that is a license violation and may render both of them not genuine and then they shut down. I was only pointing out how to get the actual key that might not match whats on the sticker.

1. You have to burn a bootable dvd and you can use several programs to do that.
2. No I mean once deleted it doesn't matter what version you want to install. I have been comparing the win 7 disks for some time and they are identical except the 1 file. If someone had an ultimate dvd and wanted to install premium on another computer provided they had the right key and stuff for that PC. Like if the thing crashed and needed a reinstall then they could do this. They installing same system on same PC that is licensed for the OS then that is not a violation of any EULA
3. You cannot use your key from your existing on the other PC, that is a license violation and may render both of them not genuine and then they shut down. I was only pointing out how to get the actual key that might not match whats on the sticker.
Thanks for the feedback and clarifications re: items 2 and 3 above. With respect to item 1, I know how to take an ISO file and create a bootable DVD. I don't know how to copy such a DVD to HDD, delete a file, and then make a new bootable DVD. In my mind, I no longer have a ISO file (which is my normal starting point)? Is the goal to make a new bootable DVD minus the ei.cfg file? BTW, I use Nero for burning CD/DVDs.

Last edited:
No an iso has to be created

All that is pretty hard to explain and there may be other ways but I will give you something I been using because I developed it and it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Se7en_UA - Se7en/Vista DVD and xml Creator - MSFN Forums read first 4-5 posts and if any ? then ask there
Thanks for the feedback and link. Wow, that is nearly indecipherable! There seem to be several strange links there that ask for money. Can you provide a step by step procedure with a bit of background on what we're attempting to accomplish? Maybe you can explain what the name of the file is to be downloaded that builds the bootable DVD and what the recommended link is to download it? That would get me off to a flying start!

Alternately, it may be that my existing bootable DVD will work. I have now a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) retail DVD (with ei.cfg shown above). My sister-in-law will purchase a laptop with the same OS already installed but without a OS on DVD. Of course, her installed OS will be legal. I have no idea what kind of installation it will have eg, OEM, Mak, etc other than it will be the same OS. Will I really need a new DVD or is it just a matter of pulling out the correct product key with the script provided? If I don't need to delete the ei.cfg file and build a new bootable DVD that is fine by me! Thanks for your patience!
Pete

Last edited:
Then you won't need to build another disk if it ei.cfg matches target installed OS
What I don't understand is that I tried doing a clean install on my daughter's new Sony laptop using my DVD and it would not accept the product key taken from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Both the installed OS and my DVD were Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). As I've since discovered my DVD is retail. After having read this thread, I did have her run "[FONT=&quot]slmgr.vbs -dlv[/FONT]" in a command prompt and the report did state, 'OEM_slp'. Does that explain the problem? Would the script above have yielded a key that would have been compatible with the type OEM_slp? Thanks
Pete

Last edited:
slp means it is a OEM slic 2.1 activated os and yes then you need to delete the ei.cfg from the dvd since it is retail and and burn to iso. capture her key if it is still working. you can use the Paymyrent thing from above cause you need the digitally signed certificate (OEM cert) also. Sony is definitely OEM
Heres a good read on this Link Removed - Not Found

slp means it is a OEM slic 2.1 activated os and yes then you need to delete the ei.cfg from the dvd since it is retail and and burn to iso. capture her key if it is still working. you can use the Paymyrent thing from above cause you need the digitally signed certificate (OEM cert) also. Sony is definitely OEM
Heres a good read on this Link Removed - Not Found
Thanks. I did manage to download and install a program called Se7en_UA6.3.8. Is this the correct one? I believe this is the tool that will allow me to build a bootable Windows 7 DVD.
When the progam is started there are many boxes to check. This is what I've done so far:
1. Copy contents of my Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Retail DVD to a new folder
2. Deleted the ei.cfg file from that folder
3. Started the Se7en_UA program
4. Checked the Copy box and browsed to the above folder.

The program seemed to do a bunch of stuff including the creation of a uaDVD folder with a size of over 3GB. I'm not sure if what I did is correct and I have no idea how to proceed. Is there a step-by-step procedure that covers the case where one simply wants to delete the ei.cfg file and create a bootable DVD? Here are a couple more questions:
1. Why did it ask what kind of OS? I thought the build covered all types.
2. Do I need to download WAIK?
3. I received an info window in command prompt which makes no sense. I will try to attach it

Thanks for your help.
Pete

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 426
no pipeline here when copied it renamed the ei.cfg, just click through rest of windows and say ok whatever all the way to end where it will create iso. Just don't add anything

its saying just watch them windows but right above it completed sucessfully = 100%
It ask OS you have Ultimate and copied a premium dvd
click the button UXP_Vista_7_UA then click Vista_7_UA - Vista/Seven Unattended DVD Creator. I see now I need to update that help file

If you building for your sister PC then make sure if you add anything like drivers, updates then it's for that one. Better if you run it from that PC to copy activation files, you don't want to add your activation. That means you do things on your own and add them.

I am sometimes not around so you can ask over where you downloaded. They don't have unattended stuff here

My sister-in-law has not purchased the laptop yet. My goal is to build a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) DVD that will work no matter which laptop she buys. This is the OS that she will have since all discount laptops I've seen use it. I don't want a custom DVD specific to her laptop other than matching the OS. I'm hoping that whatever key the OS asks for can be obtained independent of DVD used via the script above or one of the down-loadable programs. Please tell me if my goal is realistic. I still have not succeeded in building a DVD from your program, but will continue trying. Assuming this goal is realistic I can also use it to do a clean install on my daughter's new Sony laptop which is OEM-slp. Thanks
Pete

I would gladly pay the extra. I just spoke with a Dell salesman and he quoted $159. Of course, at that price I'm purchasing a second OS. Thanks, but no thanks. He insisted that I could not simply purchase a copy of the OS that was already installed. If you know of any brand that provides for a copy on DVD I would be most appreciative. Thanks again.

Interesting, must be something new as I got the disks from Dell for my system for $25.00. Three total including all the odd crap they install with new systems. Maybe I just lucked out and got a nice rep....:)

My goal is to build a Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) DVD that will work no matter which laptop she buys.

use it to do a clean install on my daughter's new Sony laptop which is OEM-slp. Thanks
Pete
create the ISO folder if it don't exist
To jump straight to make iso go to tools folder and create a iso.cmd and add this
Edit the paths to your drive >> D:\Se7en_UA
Code:
cd /d %~dp0
attrib -R -A -S -H D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\*.* /S /D
CDIMAGE -lwin7_rtm -t07/14/2009,04:29:38 -h -j1 -m -bD:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD\boot\etfsboot.com D:\Se7en_UA\uaDVD D:\Se7en_UA\ISO\win7_rtm.iso
keep the cmd window in focus, watch it and don't do anything else. I can't find the right combination for mkiso
burn with Nero, Ultraiso or maybe even windows built in thing. Just set the speed down to 4 or less

remember on the SLP use the tool above to capture the activation. Above all just to compare the key that is on it is same as key on the bottom.

Last edited:
Back