Windows 8 And the answer is... YES!

Drew

Banned
W/ Vista & Windows 7 it was not recommend & not supported to go from the RC (a beta) to Final (RTM or GA) via Upgrade. However, for quite a while now there has been discussion, curiosity, some saying yes & some no & some general uncertainty regarding Windows 8 RP (beta) to Final via Upgrade.

Many people, of course, would like to be able to do this (or, indeed, need to). Well, I, too, have been asking Microsoft about this for a while, seeking a definitive answer. I put the query to my cousin who works for MS @ the Redmond Campus. WE both thought it would be doable & OK. Today he has sent me this which, you will appreciate reading.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-upgrade-release-preview-144319

Bear in mind, of course, one had/has an underlying non-beta Windows OS before & to get or have the RP.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting because the method of "upgrade" which is used when going from RP to RTM is basically a clean install which still migrated all your personal files. I kind of like that idea and think it would be ideal of Microsoft to use a similar method for upgrades from other operating systems, and then devise some sort of solution to get apps reinstalled.

It would sure help avoid a lot of the frustration usually associated with upgrades, such as incompatible apps and driver issues.

Back