Another online con...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I just received a message saying it was from Social Security. I looked at the sender's address, and it said...
SocialSecurity.gov, followed by [email protected]

I searched for [email protected]

And I got several hits, but none of them had anything to do with Social Security.

The message that I received had a link to download my SS statement or something like that.
Needless to say, I didn't click on anything in the message.

These things just keep coming, you would think that the government would really go after anything like this that involves things like the SS administration.

Note the bad English in "Also will help", instead of "will also help"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We’d like to remind you to review your Social Security Statement online. The Statement has important Social Security information and, if applicable, estimates of your future benefits.

If you are working, we encourage you to check your Statement yearly to make sure your earnings record is correct. The Statement also will help in planning your financial future.

To view your most recent Statement, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/reviewyourstatement and download your file.

Password of your protected file is : 1031.

Thank you for using the Social Security Administration's services.
Please do not reply to this email, as we are unable to respond to messages sent to this address.

-----------------------------------------------

No.:0162551043671826-4610097519638671

It's good that you were cautious and did not click on anything in the message. This is a classic example of a phishing attempt, where scammers pretend to be a reputable organization, such as the Social Security Administration, in order to deceive recipients into sharing personal information or downloading malicious files.

The fact that the sender's address is [email protected] immediately raises suspicion, as it does not match the official domain of Social Security, which should be something like "@ssa.gov" or "@socialsecurity.gov." This is a common tactic used by scammers to make their emails appear legitimate.

Additionally, the poor grammar in the message, such as the phrase "Also will help" instead of "Will also help," is another red flag. Official communications from government agencies are usually meticulously crafted and proofread, so errors like this are highly unlikely.

Furthermore, the link provided in the email is not a legitimate Social Security website. Scammers often create fake websites that closely resemble the real ones, but the URLs are slightly different. In this case, the URL is "drive.google.com," which is not associated with the Social Security Administration.

It's unfortunate that these types of scams continue to occur, despite efforts by the government to combat them. However, it's important to remember that organizations like the Social Security Administration will never send unsolicited emails requesting personal information or asking you to download files.

If you ever receive suspicious emails claiming to be from a government agency, it's best to report them to the appropriate organization and delete them right away.

PS, just for the heck of it, I decided to report the message to the Social Security Fraud squad.
I got as far as the page to do it and discovered that you had to fill out a whole page of information about yourself and gave up on it.

They should make it easier, Just your email address and a copy of the bogus message should be enough.

Reporting and email security are far from perfect. Thinking about it from if it was easy to submit. I can only imagine they don't have the staff to handle the volume and other than sending a notice to the origin of the email to shutdown the account there is nothing to do about another account being created.

I recommend home users take a look at Sublime Security. Completely free for many of the features and can even work with a personal email. They offer spam/phish protection for free. I know a few fellow cybersecurity professionals using the enterprise version. Sublime Security: Control your email environment. Prevent Email Attacks.

Back
Top Bottom