Windows 7 Another Update Problem

CDreier

Honorable Member
Windows Updates has stopped working. I've tried everything I can think of, trying to run Update after each of the steps shown below. Needless to say, my Update History is also gone after running these steps.

1) Ran KB947821 v34 x64 and restarted
2) Ran WuReset For Windows 7 & 8 and restarted
3) Ran Microsoft FixIt 50202 and restarted
4) Ran Windows Update Diagnostics (which showed it fixed problems) and restarted
5) Attempted to run KB947821 but got message it was not applicable.

Nothing has worked. Update just sits there but nothing downloads or is indicated even though Task Manager shows Update to be running.

I'm totally out of ideas. Thoughts on how to get this important feature back would be appreciated.

I would try clearing out all the Windows Update data and let Windows re-build it.
  • Press Winkey + r
  • Type services.msc
  • Stop Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
  • Restart Windows Update

Thanks. I just tried your suggestion but that didn't work. Same problem. In looking at the Diagnostic Report (from 4 above), it shows everything was corrected. However, in Detection Details, it shows ErrorCode 0x80070057 and Collected File Name CheckSURLog.cab.

Adding or modifying these two registry settings has fixed the issue for some people.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"UxOption"=dword:00000000

Neemobeer, you ARE the best. Believe it or not there was no registry key for WindowsUpdate! I have no idea why!! Anyway, I added the keys and entries as you suggested and everything is working fine. Solved. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom