Windows 8 Anyone know a way to get a Windows 8 ISO file?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi Guys.

There is another post on here, "Windows 8 Activation Problem" that has me stumped.

The user, tried to go back to Windows 7 and then return to Windows 8.

In doing so he apparently removed the Recovery Partition on his Asus laptop.

The computer won't boot, I think that the only real solution is to reinstall Windows 8.
The problem is, How do you do that on a computer that won't boot?

I can't find anyplace to get a Windows 8 ISO file to make install material.
All of the solutions that I can find need the computer to be bootable to use them, or get an ISO image file.

Does anyone know a way to install Windows 8 on a dead computer without buying a new Windows 8 install disk?

Asus wants $50 to send him a recovery disk.

He has his serial number, If he had install material he could just do a clean install.

This is the only thing I've found that looks like a possible solution, but can he do this on another computer and then use the disk on the dead one?

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2013/05/09/download-windows-8-iso-from-microsoft/

He would have to do it on a Windows 7 64 bit computer.
Is it safe for the parent computer, we don't want the download process to make any changes to the computer that is starting the upgrade.

Mike

As far as I know Digitial River only has the ISO's for windows 7. I've not seen any for XP, Vista or 8....only 7 and now those are gone.

Hi

I think that the site I linked to does download a real ISO file.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sub...Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

At least it appears to, you have to log into your Microsoft account to do it.
And it say that it has both the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro, downloads.

I didn't actually download it but I got to the point where is asked me to sign into my account.

I'm never sure that anything isn't a scam anymore.
But I searched for just the basic, msdn.microsoft.com and it appeared to take me too Microsoft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to download it but I ran into a dead end when after signing into my Microsoft Accound, it asked for my Subscriber ID.

I have no idea what they are talking about, this site does not seem to be for the regular public user.

Mike

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the update I'll dump the link.
Joe

Hey Joe...your link is fine I was referring to Capt. Jack's soft-zilla link....it is an ISO but for only the Enterprise trial version.

Thanks I used it a while ago to slipstream and it worked then. I didn't want to mess with adding SP 1 plus all the updates.
Joe

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx Gives you 30 days or October 31, 2014… whichever comes first but he still needs a working computer to download and place it on a usb.

In Australia, Tafe (a type of middle school) is always a good place to get software as they have access to the Microsoft DreamSpark Premium hub (an online resource for microsoft iso downloads). He could buy a USB from just about anywhere including the postoffice and take that in to ask a student or teacher to put the iso on it for him… the it department will have already downloaded all the Microsoft systems so it’s a simple task.

note that coffee is the preferred payment for this service and is perfectly legal as it does not bypass or otherwise hack the need for a serial key.

Hey ussnorway; your link is the same link that Capt. Jack posted, the trial version of Enterprise. Unfortunately, that's the only available ISO for download. There are no versions of windows 8/8 Pro 8.1/8.1 Pro ISO's to download.

Hi

It looks like the only way to get a real .ISO file is to do the install process from the Windows Store and ask to have it written to a disk as an ISO file.

I'm guessing that Microsoft would take a dim view of doing this and then saving it online someplace so that it was available for download.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-a-windows-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive-505769939

This sounds like it would work, but I'm already in Windows 8. it won't except my serial number for Windows 8, it's going to want to install Windows 8.1 if I try it, and I don't want to do that again, I'm waiting for the Windows 9 beta to start.

Mike

Last edited:
Back