Windows XP Anyone still using XP? And why

I run XP and Win-7 both, on the same computer, from different HD's with similar efficiency ratings.
So I'm in a good position to make the determination as to which one is the most desirable for me.

But, with XP, I can do several things to increase speed and efficiency that I absolutely CANNOT do with win-7.
I won't tell you everything I do with XP, but as a clue, I run it on a FAT-32 formatted partition.
I laugh at the idiots that try to tell me that XP won't run on a FAT-32 formatted HD.

Win 7 has so many more files than XP that it takes almost forever to just run an AV scan.
I could go on and on, but I won't. I will still be running XP till they kick dirt on my casket.

Cheers mates!
Old Timer

I run it on a FAT-32 formatted partition.

Win 7 has so many more files than XP that it takes almost forever to just run an AV scan.
I could go on and on, but I won't.

This is a valid point OT, if only for Win7.

I will still be running XP till they kick dirt on my casket.

And that is just straight up rad. LOL! You go OT

I went to Windows 7 upgrade back when it was first released to the general public. Got it for $50.00 on a pre release order so I couldn't pass up the deal. I kinda wish I had. None of my older but still great working printers worked with Windows 7 so I had to buy new ones. Neither did any of the drivers for test equipment I use for my R/C hobby batteries. And before you ask they weren't "XP mode" compatible. I just finished building a new computer and stayed with Windows 7 on it. I took the old box and set it up with XP to use just for my R/C hobby. Didn't realize how much I missed XP. Even with the older drives, low end video card and only 2 gb of cheap memory it just feels snappier than my up to date new box with Windows 7. Plus and I do mean a BIG plus is that I can now use my legacy equipment again. Some people like to change just for the sake of change and that's fine. I like new stuff too. For me I'm finding that I like changing back to what worked so well for me in the past and that's XP. Next up is to remove that piece of garbage Vista from my laptop and go to XP on it. I'll leave 7 on my new box for now. I seriously doubt I'll consider going to 8 when it comes out. I don't want to have to replace everything again......

Joe

@Joe, there's nothing wrong with that. If one has a lot of cash tied up in perfectly working equipment that was built to use with XP, then by all means, run it. I have a friend who has everything in his home XP based, including his media center, which he has a lot of money in. BTW, that was a killer deal on Windows 7 in the summer of '09, I got that email also. Up to 25 copies for $49.99. Many of those copies were resold through online auctions, once 7 was released.

He bought his daughter a new Windows 7 notebook for Christmas (2009), had all kinds of trouble getting it to work with the network printer. I really didn't know what to tell him, except to join a forum & create a thread about it. He did, and he was told to "get in tune with the times" & upgrade everything to Win 7. Damn, it (Win 7) had only been released for 2 months.

My friend went on a rant over that, said that he wasn't going to replace over $4,000 in perfectly fine working equipment just to connect a printer to a new laptop. He bought a copy of XP Pro from Newegg (it was still available there at the time), and created a dual boot for her. Everyone was happy.

I still use XP, especially the Media Center Edition, watched the recent Super Bowl on it, runs fine on my PC. As far as my external accessories goes, everything works with XP & Win 7. One printer even works with Windows 2000. It took a Vista 64 bit driver to make it (a Dell 720 Photo Printer) to make it work with Windows 7 64 bit. Many products made for Vista works quite well with Windows 7, and will probably work with Windows 8.

The way I see it is, everyone is different, and so is their situation. Most any modern OS, including XP, is still quite adequate, it's still in many doctors offices, hospitals, & many other businesses. Last year, I had to go for a heart exam, an echo (sort of an ultrasound procedure) was done. When I was turned over to where I was facing the PC that he was using, I noticed that it was XP, by the Start Menu icon. 2 full years after 7 was released, in a very modern facility. So it's not like XP is dead, although MS would probably like it to be.

Run it till the wheels fall off, if you must.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom