schmieg

Extraordinary Member
I run three computers on my home network. All three updated on April 30 to the latest Windows version. One computer, the slowest and cheapest, is working great, but there are problems on the other two that I'm hoping someone can provide me some guidance on.

The Lenovo is working perfectly except that if chkdsk is run on the C: drive, it will reboot, indicate that it is checking the disk, reach 100% and then sit there. I've let it sit for as long as a half hour. Nothing will resolve this except to hit the power button and shut it off. On reboot, it indicates that the disk was checked and it boots up fine. I tried doing the repair of the boot files, but that reported an inability to resolve the problem.

The Dell is working fine except that it no longer shows the most frequently used programs on the start menu and the setting button to turn that on is greyed out in Settings. another quirk is that I have a Blu-Ray player that accesses pictures, music and videos on the computers to play them on the TV and through the stereo system. It accesses everything fine except on the Dell on which it can only access the pictures. I have changed the sharing and security settings for those folders on the Dell, but that has made no change in the Blu-Ray player's inability to see the music and video folders.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Solution
It seems like you are facing some post-Windows update issues on two of your computers. Here are some steps and recommendations to address the problems on the Lenovo and Dell computers:
### Lenovo Computer:
1. CHKDSK Hang Issue:
- Sometimes CHKDSK can hang if there are disk errors. You can try running CHKDSK in read-only mode first to verify the condition of the disk. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type: chkdsk C: /f /r. This command will check and fix disk errors.

2. Reboot Loop:
- If CHKDSK continues to cause a reboot loop, you might consider using a Windows installation USB drive to access the recovery options and run CHKDSK from there.

### Dell Computer:
1. Start Menu Missing...
It seems like you are facing some post-Windows update issues on two of your computers. Here are some steps and recommendations to address the problems on the Lenovo and Dell computers:
### Lenovo Computer:
1. CHKDSK Hang Issue:
- Sometimes CHKDSK can hang if there are disk errors. You can try running CHKDSK in read-only mode first to verify the condition of the disk. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type: chkdsk C: /f /r. This command will check and fix disk errors.

2. Reboot Loop:
- If CHKDSK continues to cause a reboot loop, you might consider using a Windows installation USB drive to access the recovery options and run CHKDSK from there.

### Dell Computer:
1. Start Menu Missing Programs:
- Resetting the Start Menu might help. Go to Settings > Personalization > Start > Customize List > Show Most Used Apps. Turn this switch off, restart the PC, then turn it back on.
2. Shared Folder Issue:
- Check the file sharing settings on the Dell PC. Ensure that the folders with music and videos are correctly shared with the appropriate permissions. You can try to create a new shared folder as a test to see if the Blu-ray player recognizes it.
3. File Sharing Troubleshooting:
- You can test file sharing by accessing shared files from another computer on the network to see if the issue is specific to the Dell PC.
### Additional Tips:
  • Network Troubleshooting: Ensure that all computers are on the same network and connected correctly.
  • Network Sharing: Check network sharing options and ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled.
If the above steps do not resolve the issues, you may want to consider checking for recent driver updates, performing a system restore to a point before the Windows update, or seeking assistance from Microsoft support directly for more advanced troubleshooting steps tailored to your specific computer models and configurations.

Solution
Back