Windows 7 Are there (still) much differences in quality of RAM module manufacturers?

pstein

Extraordinary Member
I am thinking about upgrading my mobo with some more/other DDR3 RAM modules.

In former times there were heavy differences in quality between different manufacturers.

Do these quality differences still exists or are they meanwhile on an almost same level
(because it has become a mature technology)?

Maybe there is a recommendation to exclude one particular company?

Peter

Since I stopped using 30 pin RAM, (yes absolutely ancient SIMM looking like bugs), I have had 2 72 pin SDRAM modules, 1 DDR, 1 DDR2 modules fail. No DDR3 failures as yet. The number of RAM sticks that I have used or sold or given away in this time frame is upwards of 400. IME RAM doesn't fail, motherboards fail. AFAICT and IME the current RAM available id all quite good and reliable. The vagaries of PSU foibles and variability of internal parts have a greater impact on system reliability than RAM maker. You are good to go with almost any current new DDR3 RAM sticks.

I'd agree with dikbozo. It's always healthy to check some test results / user comments. Today, most memories show the same speed, the only thing I can think of is reliability = age of use, and that's almost impossible to evaluate. You might do wisely in checking your mobo pages, there may be some compatibility issues. One works better than another?

BIOS update can be one thing. And to run together with other memories, they should be the same kind.

Back
Top Bottom