Windows 7 Are these poor HDD read speeds?

toddpaw

Hi, I've been having nightmare with PC boot times ( up to 1 hour long) and extremely limited usage after boot, due to 100% disk activity.

I have tried everything possible with windows itself, so today tried to test HDD with HDDtune Pro.

Question,
#1 - Are these low read speeds?
#2 - If so, can problem within Windows 7 Pro 64 cause them?
#3 - Can a virus? I have scanned and believe to be clean.

HDD is a single Seagate SATA3 ST31000524AS 1Tb, 32mb cache (blue)
and is installed on intel SATA3 controller, which has worked great for 2 years.

HD Tune Pro: ST31000524AS Benchmark
Test capacity: full
Read transfer rate
Transfer Rate Minimum : 0.0 MB/s
Transfer Rate Maximum : 120.1 MB/s
Transfer Rate Average : 10.5 MB/s
Access Time : 126.1 ms
Burst Rate : 58.5 MB/s
CPU Usage : 0.4%

HD Tune Pro: ST31000524AS Random Access
Test capacity: full
Read test
Transfer size operations / sec avg. access time max. access time avg. speed
512 bytes 4 IOPS 215.304 ms 3179.548 ms 0.002 MB/s
4 KB 5 IOPS 183.288 ms 19647.511 ms 0.021 MB/s
64 KB 1 IOPS 540.928 ms 4612.458 ms 0.116 MB/s
1 MB 0 IOPS -1973.971 ms 111046.466 ms -0.507 MB/s
Random

Thanks, todd

Last edited:
The maximum transfer rate is good, the minimum of zero is not good, and has thus changed the average. You see the average is computed with these two numbers, but without a chart, it is hard to see what is going on. Try CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World. This is good, free software and will give you a second point of reference. A good read time with a standard SATA-3 drive will be around 100-120 MB/s. SATA-2 will be around 60-80 MB/s for read.

AIDA64 is trial-based, it is not free, but it is a full system information and diagnostic suite, and will give you a decent third point of reference with the Disk Benchmarking tool.

The maximum transfer rate is good, the minimum of zero is not good, and has thus changed the average. You see the average is computed with these two numbers, but without a chart, it is hard to see what is going on. Try CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World. This is good, free software and will give you a second point of reference. A good read time with a standard SATA-3 drive will be around 100-120 MB/s. SATA-2 will be around 60-80 MB/s for read.

AIDA64 is trial-based, it is not free, but it is a full system information and diagnostic suite, and will give you a decent third point of reference with the Disk Benchmarking tool.

Thanks for reply, First off, How do I post images?
I am all but sure the HDD is failing, I have been backing up files, 34 minutes for 351mb copy paste to other drive, you don't want to know how long for 40Gb Origin file, but my house is clean now.

Again though, how do I post images from AIDA64 or Crystal?
thanks, todd

To post images, simply click on the image button in reply and you can link to them (from a pre-existing hosting spot), or upload them using the asset manager. You'll need to take a screenshot first, usually using PrtScrn and an image program or see Snipping Tool built into Windows. The insert image button will allow you to link to an existing URL or upload images from your computer.

To post images, simply click on the image button in reply and you can link to them (from a pre-existing hosting spot), or upload them using the asset manager. You'll need to take a screenshot first, usually using PrtScrn and an image program or see Snipping Tool built into Windows. The insert image button will allow you to link to an existing URL or upload images from your computer.

thanks, I gave up on linear read test AIDA64 after an hour,

20-June-2013_15-09_HDDR.png20-June-2013_16-34_HDD2.png

Thanks Mike, This is the last thing that will be done on this HDD, I have FAILURE.

21-June-2013_15-59.png

Back