Windows 7 ASUS Motherboard - RAM QVL

gabiibag

Hi there,
It's all about my friend's PC and it has the following configuration:

MB: Asus P5B-E
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 2X Kingmax 512MB DDR2 667MHz => 1GB
VGA: Nvidia GeForce 7300le

The first thing i want to do is to buy a new single RAM memory of 2 GB at 800MHz, because personally I think that the RAM is the weak link of the system.

What kind, type, manufacturer i should buy, regarding that the PC has 2 Kingmaxs and the Quality Vendor List in the attachment?
I do not want to have incompatibilities.

Attachments

• P5B-E_QVL.pdf
    120.6 KB · Views: 368
get yourself some name brand ram. Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston, OCZ or GSkill are all known to work fine on ASUS boards. Kingmax is no name stuff. Do yourself a favor and throw it out......don't worry about the P5B QVL. that was written years ago.

Last edited:
so... i just install the 2GB Ram new bought and the other 2 Kingmaxs... i should "throw them away"?

Okay. My suggestion to anyone is buy name brand quality ram, buy matching dimms (if you buy say, 2GB sticks make sure they're all identical 2GB sticks) with identical speeds (800mhz,1066mhz, 1333mhz etc) from the same manufacturer. Don't run a 2GB dimm with a pair of 512MB etc. Put your leftover old ram up for sale or trade. Computers aren't just a pile of parts. For best performance make sure all the parts match up to your motherboard specs and each other. A computer is only as good as it's weakest link and when it comes to parts, you only get what you pay for.......

Last edited:
don't worry about the P5B QVL
I disagree with this advice. You still need to pay attention to the QVLs. You do not need to buy listed RAM because there are simply too many RAM makers and models for board makers to test and list them all. But you do need to buy RAM with the same specs as those listed on the QVL.

They can test all the CPUs so the CPU QVLs are typically complete, and you should buy a CPU that is listed.

Oh, and there is a reason why that QVL is years old, so is the motherboard and that motherboard does not support anything larger than 2Gb sticks. And the supported 2Gb sticks have been around for years too.

Technically, there is no reason why you cannot buy a single 2Gb stick and add that to your 2 x 512Mb. The 2 x512Mb will run in Dual-Channel and the 2Gb will run in single channel mode. But you would get better performance if you bought 2 x 2Gb and installed them in place of the 512Mb modules. Then, if you had 64-bit Windows, you could move the 2 x 512Mb to the second bank (channel) of slots (B1 and B2 on your board - according to the manual). But you have 32-bit so you might just as well toss the 512Mb modules and chalk the loss up due to advances in technology rendering perfectly good RAM obsolete.

Although it is very difficult to find RAM that is not warrantied for life, I also recommend sticking with a major brand. And most major RAM makers have RAM wizards to tell you which of their RAM will work with your board. Here's my canned text on that.

These popular RAM makers have auto-scanning and/or manual entry RAM wizards to help you determine which RAM is compatible with your motherboard. For manual entry, enter/select the PC or motherboard make and model number and the wizard will list compatible RAM.
Crucial - Memory Advisor
Link Removed due to 404 Error - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
GeIL - Memory Meter
Kingston - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Mushkin - Advisor
Link Removed - Invalid URL - Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Link Removed due to 404 Error - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)
Link Removed due to 404 Error - Memory Finder (manual data entry only)​
The following retailers have auto-scanners and manual wizards. They sell brand name and/or "house" brand (re-branded) RAM.
Newegg - Memory Configurator System Tool
MemoryStock - Upgrade Configurator
18004Memory – Configurator
4AllMemory - Memory advisor (automatic and manual)
Link Removed - Invalid URL - Memory Configurator (manual data entry only)​

@Digerati

Ummmmmmm. Nope.

Dual channel mode is only enabled when either only 2 (banks A or B) or all 4 dimm banks are loaded. It's all about balance.

QVLs that list 2GB dimms as the max is because 2GB dimms were the biggest available at the time the QVL was compiled. The board chipset determines the maximum amount of supported memory. Check the motherboard manufacturer website. Pay close attention to the motherboard revision number.

Other than that, Great Post, I agree!

Last edited:
No sorry, ELiTEFX, but that is wrong. It has nothing to do with "balance".

Please make some attempt to verify your facts before saying someone else is incorrect. I do!

Note the ASUS P5B-E Motherboard Manual, page 1-2 CLEARLY states the following,
Users may install different memory size DIMMS into the two channels and enjoy dual-channel and single channel functions at the same time.
On page 2-13 it says,
You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel.

While it is true some older motherboards require you run in pairs to enable dual-channel, that is rarely true today. Most memory controllers will run the first pair in dual channel, and the single stick in single-channel mode. Of course, the preferred method is to fully populate in pairs, but it is incorrect to make the blanket statement that dual channel will not be enabled if all RAM is not in pairs.

QVLs that list 2GB dimms as the max is because 2GB dimms were the biggest available at the time the QVL was compiled. The board chipset determines the maximum amount of supported memory.
2Gb is the max listed because 2Gb is the max that board supports.

Please make some attempt to verify your facts before saying someone else is incorrect.
15 years of having my head stuck inside a rig gives me all the practical real life verification necessary. Don't believe everything you read in the mobo specs. Especially in older motherboard versions. Trust me. What they claim and what is really going on are sometimes 2 completely different stories. They just want(ed) to sell mobos and appear better than the competition.

Once again, there's ALWAYS exceptions to generally accepted guidelines/practices.

There's been times when the mobo QVL stated 2GB dimms only and I dropped 4GB dimms in and they ran like a rocket. Sometimes it depends on the installed Bios version for the board. There's also been times when the QVL AND mobo specs claimed it would support 4 banks@dual channel and this just didn't happen in the real world eg: ASUS P5LD2 Rev. 1

With all due respect: I never said "you" were incorrect. This stuff isn't personal to me. Just giving my experienced opinion. Don't care what the next guy thinks.....Thanks "Grumpy ol' Master Sergeant"

Last edited:
This stuff isn't personal to me. Just giving my experienced opinion. Don't care what the next guy thinks.....Thanks "Grumpy ol' Master Sergeant"
It is not personal to me either. But I do care what the next guy thinks - if he posts it in a thread and the information is incorrect.

15 years of having my head stuck inside a rig gives me all the practical real life verification necessary

Your 15 years may be impressive to you and some others - though to me, you're still a kid in this field! ;) Experts are a dime a dozen. You can follow the link in my sig to determine if I might be one. One thing for certain, I would never be so cocky to say I have all the practical real life verification necessary, or to expect others to believe me simply because I say so.

Of course there could be a QVL that is inaccurate or out-of-date. But those ares still the best published information to go on. And certainly, the on-line QVLs are likely to be more current than what is published the manuals that come in the mobo box.

Once again, there's ALWAYS exceptions to generally accepted guidelines/practices.
Right! And yet you are basing your opinions and suggestions on those exceptions - even citing the P5LD2 "exception" as rationale when that is not even the same mobo as the OP! :confused:

@Digerati

Gotta respect the fact you stick to your guns. I'm looking forward to the next time we butt heads.....:p

Back
Top Bottom