Windows 7 ATI video drivers for Acer Extensa 4420

vinoman

I've just installed Win 7 64bit on my Acer Extensa 4420 notebook.

I went to the Acer site and downloaded the VGA ATI 8.635.0.0W7x64W7x86A

Installed but it doesn't work, wrong drivers, how do I find the video drivers for this notebook?

I'm selling this to a friend next month. should I install the 32bit version of Win7 instead? I have both discs.

I had Ubuntu Linux on this for two years and it found the right video drivers automatically, I thought Windows could do as well.

I notice there are two drivers listed, have you tried both?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I tried another driver and this time it wouldn't install at all. Maybe when I uninstalled the first one it broke something. Maybe there isn't a 64 bit ATI driver for this Acer laptop. I didn't think it would be this hard to get the right one. Most of the drivers I've seen are for Vista, not Win7.

If anyone know any more about finding and installing the correct ATI driver for this Acer 4420. Great. If not I'll leave it with the generic video that it has. Maybe this is a 64 bit problem. Would installing the 32bit Win7 work better?

Otherwise my friend will have to live with Win7 without the Aero effect.

You could always try the vista drivers and run them under compatibility mode. Could you tell me how old the lappie is?

bought it Sept. '08. So 3 yr.

it's hard to believe that there isn't a ATI driver for Win7 on this laptop. maybe that's the way it is.

I'm not going to use any Vista drivers. Don't trust them at all.

I already have Windows 7 Home Premium installed. How is this program going to tell me what video driver to use?

There are six drivers on the Acer page and no way of knowing which one to use.

If the only thing I will gain from the correct ATI driver is the clear Aero look, that's not enough of a reason to care about installing drivers from ATI which don't seem to be available for this Acer Extensa 4420 laptop.

Everything else works fine on this laptop. Too bad Win7 can't find the right video driver for it. :(

I just ran device manager and it show that the driver is: ATI Radeon X1200 series. Does that help?

You can hardly blame Windows 7 for not supporting discontinued hardware that was bought 9mths before it was released.

Here, Try this: ATI Catalyst

Last edited:
I'll live without the few cosmetics that are missing because of the lack of ATI drivers for Win7. The Acer runs very well without it. Too bad Win7 can't be as update with drivers as Ubuntu Linux is. ;)

This morning I booted up the Acer and by magic the Aero desktop effect is working! Maybe something finally turned on. Sometimes computers are magical. It's working now and my friend will have a very fast running laptop. :)

Back
Top Bottom