Windows 7 Audio + Vintage Modem Drivers = Crackling sound and System lag.

MauroFD

Good evening people, I just installed windows 7 in my system and I like it so far! However I have some troubleshooting with a VERY old Modem.

- I installed all drivers for my hardware from the CDs each hardware brings. After I installed everything, I put some music on and started navigating around the internet, but when I loaded a webpage or go through a processing demand of CPU and Memory, the music started to slow down, produced distortioned sounds like crack and some kind of robot crap along with some system lag; the mouse was not smooth, etc.

- Did a fresh install of Windows 7, except for this time I put some music on WHILE I was installing the drivers and found out that my ADSL USB Modem driver was causing the trouble in my PC.

-The specs of the modem are: Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5667 (released aprox year 2000). It uses the following drivers: vvbeth.sys ; vvbetht.sys ; vvpciusb.sys ; vvbususb.sys. Also, the .inf/.pnf files are: vvbuse.sys/.pnf and vvbusu.sys/.pnf // This modem is compatible with WINDOWS 95 !!!!!!1111 / 98 / 2K /ME / XP

- I uninstalled the modem and plugged in a Blackberry and started using it as a Modem (SLOW AS HELL), started navigating with some music on while running other programs like Steam, antivirus, etc., and no crackling sound at all!

- I installed the drivers and .inf/.pnf manually. Put all four drivers onto C:Windows:System32:drivers and the .pnf to C:Windows. Went to Device managers, searched for the modem with the exclamation sign -> Upgrade drivers -> Browse my computer...-> Let me pick from a list of device drivers -> Have disk... -> Find the .inf files and installed both of them manually.

-Found out that this modem needs 2 .pnf, one for virtual usb bus and the other to get it to a Network Adapter. After installing the one that turned the modem into a Network adapter, the crackling started again, so definitely it's this god damn driver causing all the buzz here.

I wanted to know which drivers are compatible WITH windows 7 and my vintage modem.

-Please don't tell me to connect my modem to Ethernet port, my onboard ethernet is Fried. And I have no time to buy a ethernet card so my only port is USB. I won't either install the XP Virtual system to make it work, I UPGRADED FROM XP TO 7, not willing to go back!

My PC specs are INTEL E6750, CORSAIR DDR2 800 XMS 2GB, ASUS P5QL PRO MOBO, NVIDIA 8600GT AND HDD'S SATA II

Thank you very much looking foward to solve this problem.:p

:( Lol I know! It's quite old, indeed it says "Live the broadband Life!", now mobiles have broadband heh...

Back
Top Bottom