Windows 8 Batch or toggle for turning WiFi on / off

Hey all, hope everyone's good.

For my studio pc (not laptop) I'd like to be able to disable my wireless network (either full capability or just disable my usb adapter). Basically it interferes with my audio output and causes pops and clicks when writing music so I'd like to be able to disable it and enable it at will.

I don't want to have to remove the usb everytime as it's in an awkward place and therefore faffy.

Also, it's a tower pc and every search on Google comes up with solutions for laptops or mobiles which is no good.

Ideally I'd like a key like on my laptop to toggle WiFi on or off.
Is there a way to achieve this? Batch file or something?

Thanks

Paul

Is there a way to achieve this? Batch file or something?

Hi Paul... the simple answeer is no because (un-like laptops) most PC don't have wifi transmitters built into them. If your PC somehow does have a transmitter (without built in software) and you know how to use a hexeditor then you could install something like "windows mobility center" and use that but I'd want to test it before allowing it to run on your work computer.

what pc... main item here is the motherboard and router model have you got because it sounds like you may have one of those usb sticks and they do tend to draw power from the board i.e. you could have a toggle to power off your usb ports instead.

Hi ussnorway, thanks for replying.

Mine's a P5N-E SLI motherboard.

When I was running xp on this harddrive, I'd installed the actual driver for the wireless adapter and therefore had a system tray icon that I could right click to disable (although can't remember if I could re-enable it mid session, which is what I want to do now, so I can check updates and register software etc).

Now with windows 8.1, it seems to have installed it as a class compliant device so no need for the drivers but maybe I should install them just to have that control :)

Paul

DevCon

DevCon (Devcon.exe), the Device Console, is a command-line tool that displays detailed information about devices on computers running Windows. You can use DevCon to enable, disable, install, configure, and remove devices.

I've never tried using it though...

Can't you just put a shortcut to the adapter on your desktop and right click it and choose disable?
Try this
Windows Logo Key + R
In the run dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
Right click the adapter and choose "Create Shortcut"
You may be informed that you can't create a short cut here do you want it place on your desktop (seems handy since that's exactly what we want to do).
If not then just drag the shortcut to your desktop.
Right click the short cut and choose disable.
Does that work for you?

Back