Best Linux Flavour

Super Sarge

What is the best Linux Flavour
I am using Mint do not know it is the best or not as I am new to Linux I have a triple boot machine I run Mint4win 64 bit, Vista 32 Bit and my Primary OSWindows 7 64 bit

Ubuntu, and therefore Mint have a very good base to work with, large community, software installation is good (Synaptic, software center, etc.). Instructions for Ubuntu will work for Mint. I would say it's a very good place to learn. If you're not liking what you are looking at, the way the desktop is working, you can install another one on your existing system (or you can change what you have, move/remove bars, etc., you could make it look almost exactly like a mac for instance, bottom bar, icons, etc.). If you install another desktop environment, when you log out, there is a place to click to get a drop down box, to select the other desktop environment, and log back in to the new desktop. I suggest KDE, I like it better, easier to work with, nicer to look at (my opinion), you could download Kubuntu and use the livecd to see what it looks like, if you like it, no need to install Kubuntu, follow the instructions below to install it in what you have. If you don't like it, you just log back out, and select Gnome or whatever.

Here are instructions to install KDE. I basically did this many times, so I know it works fine, at least it should.... I suggest you turn OFF autologon if you have it on until after you install the desktop and make sure it works (if the desktop would be broken, sometimes it could be tricky to get back out to login to another one that works).
How to Install KDE In Ubuntu Natty [Quick Tips]

Here are instructions how to install some common programs in 'buntu/mint.
The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 11 (Katya) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Here are a few out of many other distributions to try out, you can try the livecd out to see what they look like. OpenSuse is ~probably what I'd run if not 'buntu, large community and amount of software.

This is a new project, just out with their first release, it has a good base, very promising. But I have not tried it out, I don't know how stable or good it is. Their next release will be better, but not until next year.
DistroWatch.com: Mageia

Another good one
DistroWatch.com: PCLinuxOS

And another good one.
DistroWatch.com: openSUSE

Of course some of them don't work with all hardware. I suggest NOT downloading any of the testing versions.

And if your computer supports booting off of USB, you can use this to download and make a bootable USB drive. It should be in the software center as well, so install it from there.
UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

I tried Mint XFCE, I installed it on a separate HD, just did not care for it. Also in my opinion XFCE is a pain in the *** to install you need to create 4 separate partitions to install, boot, swap, root and home.
I went back to Mint Kayta much easier to install it also fits my need better. It is also on a separate Hard drive in my computer as I had 4 internal drives

XFCE is a bit ...simplistic, minimalist, it works good on older hardware. KDE is a bit more Windows like out of the box. I'd say "prettier" than the older Gnome (what Mint uses, but customized).

Try kububtu 11.04, been using ubuntu for years, with barely a problem.

Installing KDE or the package kubuntu-desktop by the instructions I posted before, in his existing installed system, is basically the same thing. Other than keeping anything he has installed now, including the Mint tools. I've started with normal Mint and normal Ubuntu, and done this myself. I've also started with Kubuntu and installed Gnome, and the Mint tools (what I did this time with Kubuntu 11.04 while it was in testing). As well as started with the testing versions, and running them for a while. I've never had a problem with any of them, in over 5 years of using only Linux, and years of partial use before that.

I suggested trying the Kubuntu cd only to test it out, to see if op liked KDE enough to install that package.

Of course if OP wants a fresh install anyway, or another distro on another partition, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I suggested Kubuntu because it's based on Ubuntu which seems to just work for the majority of people. Personally I'd go for Gentoo steep learning curve though.
Choosing a linux distribution or just even suggesting one is a difficult thing to do. We all have our favorite disro. For the general user who wants to learn I've found Ubuntu to be the best choice as it normally works straight out of the box.

Sarge may I ask what exactly do you want to do with linux? Also a good thing to remember is if you don't like the WM you've chosen you can just remove it and try another.

I just want to play around with it, I have Kayta Linux Mint installed on a separate HD, I have Ubuntu installed using the WUBI installer that allows for it to be installed along side windows or Vista.
I am thinking of wiping out my HP 9600 Laptop drive and installing either Kubuntu or Mint 11 Kayta on it. I noticed that there is a distincr speed difference, but Linux does not have the eye candy that Windows has

I suggested Kubuntu because it's based on Ubuntu which seems to just work for the majority of people. Personally I'd go for Gentoo steep learning curve though.
Choosing a linux distribution or just even suggesting one is a difficult thing to do. We all have our favorite disro. For the general user who wants to learn I've found Ubuntu to be the best choice as it normally works straight out of the box.

Yes, I said 'buntu is a good place to start.

"Also a good thing to remember is if you don't like the WM you've chosen you can just remove it and try another."
That's what I've been saying, there is no need to remove the old one.

Mint is already installed, which IS Ubuntu, just customized. Installing the package kde-desktop or for sure kubuntu-desktop will pull in everything, logging out, selecting kde, logging back in is -basically- the same thing as installing Kubuntu separately (other than more software). If Op doesn't like it, log back out, select gnome, log back in, back where he started. Similarly, if OP had installed the package xubuntu-desktop, logged out, selected XFCE, logged back in, could have looked at it that way, except it wouldn't have been customized the "Mint way".

Gentoo is far too advanced for a general beginner, unless they want to do a fair amount of reading (to do it the right way anyway). There are no/negligible noticeable differences in speed, haven't tried it for a couple years, with all the time compiling software, I don't see using it full time myself. But yes, you do learn a lot about linux.

If I were to run what I wanted, it would be Arch, but I'm on a limited internet connection, it's easier for me to keep up multiple systems with something simpler. And since most people I know don't have broadband because it's not available, and I have a couple neighbors running it, it's easier to copy over the packages to save from downloading again, and the package manager is decent/handy. They don't have to touch a command line, which they wouldn't want to. 'buntu allows easy remastering so I can simply install my existing system on anything I want.

Choosing a distro is subjective. Day to day usage, just using apps, they are all very much similar. The differences are in some of the tools, installing software, etc.

...but Linux does not have the eye candy that Windows has

It has more.... Many, many choices. Many themes, many cursor/pointer choices, transparent window borders, different colors, different buttons, different animations for opening/closing windows. It can look better in my opinion.

How to Make Ubuntu Linux Look Like Windows 7 - How-To Geek
How to Make Ubuntu Linux Look Like Mac OS X - How-To Geek

Not saying I'm good with style, but here's my laptop setup, showing only some of the options available, easy to get more.

snapshot-33.jpegsnapshot-35.jpegsnapshot-34.jpeg

Back