Best Practise Hard Drive Setup

Kingkreg

Hi there,

I'm setting up an HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10 for a simple small office file share and host a Filemaker Database. There is 4 HD slots and I have 4 x 1TB drives. I can setup all four in a RAID 10 array which gives performance and redundancy but only gives me 1 volume. Should I be considering setting up 2 arrays and having the OS (Windows Server Essentials 2016) on 1 and the data share on the other? Or is it better to have the RAID 10 setup then use a separate partition for the OS and the Data?

Many thanks for any advice, I'd rather get it setup right first time!
Craig

Really depends what you intend to do with it, but it is generally a good practice to keep the OS on it's own drive or at least partition. Since you're limited to 4 disks, you could do a RAID 1+0 and then shrink the C drive down to maybe 200GB, then create another partition at make that data.

Really depends what you intend to do with it, but it is generally a good practice to keep the OS on it's own drive or at least partition. Since you're limited to 4 disks, you could do a RAID 1+0 and then shrink the C drive down to maybe 200GB, then create another partition at make that data.
That's what I figured would make the most sense. The data is currently around 500GB, and although that will slowly increase, having ~800GB partition should be enough for now.

Thanks for the response, it's good to know I'm heading in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom