Windows 7 Beware: iTunes and 64bit

belunos

Ok, this one threw me for a loop for a while, so I hope this helps someone.

iTunes installs a system level CD ROM driver, called GEARAspiWDM.sys. This driver is used by iTunes to burn CDs. The problem, however, is it caused your ROM drives to toss a driver signature problem in control panel (yellow ! on the devices). The fix is to search for the key in the registry. Unforunately I already made the change and closed the registry, so I can't tell you the exact key, but do a search for that file name. You're looking for a key called upperfilter. When you find it, double click that key and delete that filename. Then, remove your ROM devices and let Windows redetect them.

This is what worked for me. BTW, it's really cool that someone tossed this site up to help people. It didn't specifically help me, but I hope it helps others.

Ok, this one threw me for a loop for a while, so I hope this helps someone.

iTunes installs a system level CD ROM driver, called GEARAspiWDM.sys. This driver is used by iTunes to burn CDs. The problem, however, is it caused your ROM drives to toss a driver signature problem in control panel (yellow ! on the devices). The fix is to search for the key in the registry. Unforunately I already made the change and closed the registry, so I can't tell you the exact key, but do a search for that file name. You're looking for a key called upperfilter. When you find it, double click that key and delete that filename. Then, remove your ROM devices and let Windows redetect them.

This is what worked for me. BTW, it's really cool that someone tossed this site up to help people. It didn't specifically help me, but I hope it helps others.

Thanks for the tip, I was tearing my hair out trying to get this fixed. The entry in question is....

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

Delete upperfilters and lowerfilters. I didnt have lowerfilters on my machine, but deleting the upperfilters worked a treat.

Thanks guys worked for me, I only had lowerfilters.

Keep up the good work

Chucky

Hi guys,
First let me thank everyone for taking the time to help others out with issues. It means a lot to know that there are still people out there that care.

Now, let me note that I think I'm having the same problem listed in this thread. I installed Itunes (b/c I used to be a mac enthusiast and got an iphone but now realize that apple just sells overpriced crap) and now my computer wont recognize the cd/dvd drive. It wont show up in "My Computer" and is undiscoverable when I try to reinstall the device. I would like to try the fix noted here but I am having trouble making sense of what to do? I am admittedly a newb when it comes to windows (just got my gateway last week [bye bye macbook hehehe]). So please provide step by step instructions in layman's terms. thanks

Hi guys,
First let me thank everyone for taking the time to help others out with issues. It means a lot to know that there are still people out there that care.

Now, let me note that I think I'm having the same problem listed in this thread. I installed Itunes (b/c I used to be a mac enthusiast and got an iphone but now realize that apple just sells overpriced crap) and now my computer wont recognize the cd/dvd drive. It wont show up in "My Computer" and is undiscoverable when I try to reinstall the device. I would like to try the fix noted here but I am having trouble making sense of what to do? I am admittedly a newb when it comes to windows (just got my gateway last week [bye bye macbook hehehe]). So please provide step by step instructions in layman's terms. thanks

Ok firstly as you really dont know what your doing its advisable to make a backup of your registry incase you make a fubar of it. I`ll explain this below.

Ok click start and in search box at bottom type regedit.

You will now see the registry editing program, just load it up.

To make a backup select "file" then export and save your backup somewere safe.

Now on your left panel you will see a list all starting with HKEY, now you want to open the tree in this order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

When you get to {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} just hilight it and on the main panel you will see UpperFilters and/or lowerfilters

Delete upperfilters and/or lowerfilters and reboot.

Last edited:
ok can someone please help me out here?

i just got a new computer today, a Samsung Q430, and i installed the latest version of iTunes (big mistake i know) onto it and now i have the problem of my DVD-ROM drive not playing/uploading music CD's into my iTunes library. i have tried everything mentioned in this thread to no avail at all, im out of ideas and desperate because this thing is only 6 hours old.

please help, i have no idea what to do

The Apple iTunes 7.6.1 is something which can be included with your list of iTunes software downloads. This is actually just a minor upgrade to the media player, but it offers a lot of flexibility for the users. Those who own video iPods can now preview and download full-length movies and television programs. These, are of course, available affordable prices. Sharing your entire music library has never been easier with the latest version of iTunes where Internet Radio is also available. The Apple iTunes 2 also supports iTunes Plus and offers enhanced features like movie rentals management for US residents.

win a free ipod

Fortunately, I was able to fix the problem the first time. Unfortunately, I am having the same problem again. (i think it may be because I updated I-tunes. Stupid idea.) Anyway, I tried to edit the registry assuming that it reset the upperfilters and lowerfilters but they are not there. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom