Windows 8 BF4 stuck as background process

Linus

Hi, I have been able to play Battlefield 4 just as the majority of other people do(some crashes and such in he start but not much more than that) Though a about a moth ago now I started getting another much worse problem.

So what happens is I play the game as usual, when I exit the game it switches to the black ladoing screen and loads for a

bit before it gets stuck there. If i try to close it down the "normal way" alt + f4 or just click the x button nothing

happens. I have to end the process via task manager.
When I try launching the game again it says "Could not communicate with BF4. Please use the Task Manager to close it

down." So I check the task manager and it says BF4 is running as a background process, all attempts to close it down fail "access denied". The only solution so far is to restart my computer. I've read about why you get "access denied" and it's explained here like this
""End Process" on the Processes-Tab calls TerminateProcess which is the most ultimate way windows knows to kill a process.

If it doesn't go away, it's currently locked waiting on some kernel resource (probably a buggy driver) and there is nothing (short of a reboot) you could do to make the process go away." http://stackoverflow.com/questions/49988/really-killing-a-process-in-windows/50011#50011

I have tried re-installing my graphic drivers(Using DDU) and reverting to a earlier version.

Dose anyone have any idea of what could be causing this?

P.S

I have been scanning the web for someone with a similar problem but only found one or so.

UPDATE:

Things I've tried.
* Uninstalling the game and removing all game files then re-install it.
* Updated PB via PBsetup.
* Reverting back my graphic drivers to 13.10.
* Installing the 13.11 beta graphic drivers.
* Disconnecting my two side monitors.
* Re-installing the battlelog web plugin.
* Running the game and Origin in Win 7 comparability mode.
* Running BF4 in x86 mode.

Last edited:
I've found lot's of issues almost like yours nut the difference being the user crashes out of bf4 and then see's the back loading screen. Some mentioned updating their punkbuster as a solution. I read your log by the way but all it said was the application had hung.

Try this page for updating PB:
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=support-bf4.php

I've found lot's of issues almost like yours nut the difference being the user crashes out of bf4 and then see's the back loading screen. Some mentioned updating their punkbuster as a solution. I read your log by the way but all it said was the application had hung.

Try this page for updating PB:
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=support-bf4.php

Yeah, that''s was I was expecting. There is no way for me to exit the game properly, doesn't matter if the game crash or if i shut it down. The same thing happens every time.

I've already tried updating PB via PBsetup, I'll add a list of thing I've already tried in my first post.

Last edited:
So I just tried installing a second Windows 8 OS on another HDD on my computer and then installed BF4 and all drivers there. Tried playing for a while then exited the game, and it all worked like it should. Which means that there is something wrong with my current OS config :/

Are you running any different software/apps on one and not the other?

Hi Linus,
apologies as I was out for the rest of the evening.. I guess you could try troubleshooting the 'clean' machine by adding the same software that you have on the crashing pc but only add one app at a time and then testing with BF4. If it plays without crashing go on and add the next app and so on. It's a pain in the ass I know but troubleshooting generally is a long winded process.

Hi Linus,
apologies as I was out for the rest of the evening.. I guess you could try troubleshooting the 'clean' machine by adding the same software that you have on the crashing pc but only add one app at a time and then testing with BF4. If it plays without crashing go on and add the next app and so on. It's a pain in the ass I know but troubleshooting generally is a long winded process.

No worries! Yeah, I guess I could do that, though I think I would be better of reformatting and staring out fresh instead :/.

So just updated to 8.1 to see if it would fix the problem, and so far it seems to have :D

Back
Top Bottom