Windows 7 BIOS Message ?

Joe S

Excellent Member
I just installed a WD Caviar Black internal as a second drive with no OS on it. It works fine but when I boot up there is a message right after HP splash screen the pops up and down and has something about drives. It's black background with white print. It goes down to fast to read. I don't have any errors showing any place. I was just curious about the new popup. It's on a HP d5000t Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 8G ram. Any ideas this is the first time I added a second internal HD.
Joe

Good question Joe, have you attempted to use the pause/break key to see if you could halt the message.
Otherwise you might hit delete or F2 F10 F11 F12 Fwhatever and enter the bios and see if it has any message configuration information regarding smart of something else pertaining to the drive.
You may also be able to configure the halt on settings in the BIOS to hold the screen until you respond.
Keep us posted as to what you ultimately find out
Regards
Randy

Thanks Randy the pause break key worked. At the top of screen it says RAID Volume and under that None Next it shows Physical Drives and lists then their port number maker etc and size. I then went into configure from there and it shows the following choices 1 Create RAID 2 Delete RAID 3 Reset Disks to Non RAID and 4 Exit. Should I select 3 Reset Disks to Non RAID. When I initially booted after the install I think that screen flashed by then It installed drivers and just I when to disk management and formatted and named the drive. It works fine. I also looked in setup and in boot order the new drive is after the original one.
Joe

I would suspect that out of the three options that you have 3 would likely be the best choice assuming of course you do not want or need a raid configuration.
I would probably play it double safe with a backup system image to cover any problems that might arise and maybe double check the motherboard documentation to see if there was a SATA port available that wasn't part of the onboard raid and use one of those to be safe.

I'll probably wait until tomorrow when I have enough time to make an image. I'll post back after I try changing it. I'll probably take a peek in the BIOS and see if I can see anything to.
Joe

it says RAID Volume and under that None
Is it an error message? It sounds like to me it is just a splash screen by the drive controller telling you it has configured your new drive in a standard single-drive (thus "None" for no RAID) configuration.

Unless it is telling you there is an error, or that it needs to be configured, I would leave it alone.

Well I made an image and tried to change with option 3 and it popped up a message that there is no Raid configuration to remove. I guess I'll leave it alone since it works fine. I'll see if I can find anything about the motherboard. The instructions from HP and WD are both pretty vague and basically say plug in next available port which is what I did. It's a matter of curiosity now more than anything else since it works.
Joe

What port did you plug it in to. Most new motherboards have different SATA ports and some are basically for a RAID setup. I many cases you might get a quick configuration page the says something like "Hit CTRL+A to enter setup" or some such.

In some bios options, you can turn off such messages, or turn off a controller you are not using.

I just plugged it in the next port under the installed HD. I looked on the HP site and found very little useful info. There was a layout of the mother board but it was impossible to read. I guess I'll just leave it as is since it is working. I'm just curious about it. The vague instructions from HP and WD simply say plug into empty port.
Joe

You said earlier,
I'll probably take a peek in the BIOS and see if I can see anything to.
I would still look in there to see if you can change it from RAID to AHCI mode.

Changing from RAID to AHCI gives a BSOD on boot. I'll just leave it alone since it works.
Joe

Back