Windows 7 BIOS Update in Windows 7

offi55

Hi again,
I have a question how to update BIOS on Win7 x64 ultimate. I downloaded newest version of BIOS for my laptop (Toshiba Tecra A8-185 PTA83E). After unzipping there is only .exe file. When I try to run that file it says, that my OS is unsupported. When I run it in compability mode (with Vista or XP) it starts upgrading, but gives me an error: " BIOS upgrade is failure (8). BIOS is not able on that configuration." What should I do? I really need new BIOS. Can I run it during boot from USB drive or whatsoever?

Does the bios say it will run in Windows 7. You may have to download the bootable version and make a CD which will boot and install the bios update. I looked for a bios download and could not find your model number, but the one for the A8 I did find said it contained both a XP-Vista and diskette version, so check the readme file. Maybe it will explain.

Hi again,
I have a question how to update BIOS on Win7 x64 ultimate. I downloaded newest version of BIOS for my laptop (Toshiba Tecra A8-185 PTA83E). After unzipping there is only .exe file. When I try to run that file it says, that my OS is unsupported. When I run it in compability mode (with Vista or XP) it starts upgrading, but gives me an error: " BIOS upgrade is failure (8). BIOS is not able on that configuration." What should I do? I really need new BIOS. Can I run it during boot from USB drive or whatsoever?

Not good.... many of us have had a bios end up dead after trying the firmware update. There is a small chance you can turn your computer off and move the jumper ... near your round battery on your motherboard... from pin 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 .... for a few seconds and clear it .... BUT mostlikely is got scrambled during the update and you'll have to order a new one from your pc mfg.

If you don't have 3 pins with the jumper or can't find it... remove the battery and flip it over for about 10 seconds then put it back in right.

Good luck.

I never liked doing BIOS firmware updates either,. but I've ran across quite a few posts where that has solved the OP's problem.

@Saltgrass: Tecra A8-185 - Product Specifications - Toshiba On that site you can find drivers to BIOS for my notebook, but there is no readme file, or sth I could perhaps put on diskette. (I don't have diskettes slot in my notebook by the way:)).
@tblount: I don't even know what jumper and pins are. I am green at this. I just wanted to start the update and get it. Damn. To upgrade my bios I have to open my notebook? By the way, my battery is very old so it can last 2 minutes max, without charger... So please tell me what should I do, so I will understand...
@reghakr: What is "OP" problem? Can you give me any link, which can be helpful?
Guys, I'm upgrading my BIOS in order to solve my sound problem. Despite newest drivers there is no sound and there is one unknown device "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System", so after reading for a week I came up with upgrading BIOS. Any ideas at all?

I would be very carefull here as flashing your bios and getting it wrong is one quick way of killing your machine.

Does your manufacturers web site offer any other ways to update the bios? Usually it's best done outside of the operating system.

@Saltgrass: Tecra A8-185 - Product Specifications - Toshiba On that site you can find drivers to BIOS for my notebook, but there is no readme file, or sth I could perhaps put on diskette. (I don't have diskettes slot in my notebook by the way:)).
@tblount: I don't even know what jumper and pins are. I am green at this. I just wanted to start the update and get it. Damn. To upgrade my bios I have to open my notebook? By the way, my battery is very old so it can last 2 minutes max, without charger... So please tell me what should I do, so I will understand...
@reghakr: What is "OP" problem? Can you give me any link, which can be helpful?
Guys, I'm upgrading my BIOS in order to solve my sound problem. Despite newest drivers there is no sound and there is one unknown device "on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System", so after reading for a week I came up with upgrading BIOS. Any ideas at all?

I would take it to a repair shop. I didn't realize it was a laptop. I doubt I could find the pins. Here is what they look like:

cmos jumper pins - Google Images

If you had to install a new bios it looks like this:

motherboard bios - Google Images

i tried but the sound wasnt working... You want me to install for example XP, install BIOS and install Win7 again?

Once the bios gets scrambled during a firmware flash the system won't go anywhere. It's dead till you get another bios from your system mfg.

If you want sound, have you downloaded an audio driver for the machine. If there is not a Win 7 x64, you might try a Vista x64 version.

What do you show if you right click on the speaker and choose playback devices? Are the speakers checked? You may need some special utility from Toshiba to turn on your speakers.

As far as the bios, the downloaded file should have a readme file in it, at least that is what the Toshiba site seems to say. You may need a x64 bit version of the download.

If you want sound, have you downloaded an audio driver for the machine. If there is not a Win 7 x64, you might try a Vista x64 version.

What do you show if you right click on the speaker and choose playback devices? Are the speakers checked? You may need some special utility from Toshiba to turn on your speakers.

As far as the bios, the downloaded file should have a readme file in it, at least that is what the Toshiba site seems to say. You may need a x64 bit version of the download.

The consequences of a firmware update failure are so severe that even an atheist prays for good luck when doing one. You nearly need to be a dentist to get all those centipede legs lined up and seated when you install a new bios.

ok. Then can you help me with my sound? After right-click my, speakers are shown, they are default. I have newest Realtek HD codecs.

yeah, but I had WinXP and just after I installed Win7 I lost sound, so it can't be BIOS, cause BIOS couldn't have been affected by Windows installation, right?

what do you mean? going back to xp and what next? i did it, i came back, i installed the newest drivers and it wasn't working, so i switched again to win7.

thak you all guys. PRBLEM SOLVED: Installed Added Value Package. Wifi drivers. Realtek Drivers. Utility to turn off mute in Vista. ALL FROM TOSHIBA SITE...

Back