Windows 7 Black screen before logging in

AoBfrost

Hi guys,

I am new to the forums, but not to windows, I've been using microsoft products since DOS and windows 3.1 so I know windows inside out. I just installed windows 7 RC1 onto my acer netbook (1.6ghz atom, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD) and it installed in 5-10 minutes real quick from my thumb drive. After updating it and reseting the netbook, it loads up fast, but it loads to a black screen with the mouse for about 20-30 seconds before I can choose which username I want to log into. The HDD light isnt blinking, so the computer really isnt proccesing much to make it have such a long pause.

Anyone else experience this and know how to fix it? I've done fixes for people who had similar issues such as logging into a blank screen with the mouse only showing, but I still get the problem. The comptuer runs 100% fine besides the 20-30 second pause before choosing my username to login to.

Thanks!

Windows 7 with Blank Screen and Mouse Pointer

Yep, I have exactly the same issue, it takes about 30 seconds for the Blank Screen to go before I can log into windows 7, windows 7 works fine after that. Still looking for resolution will post here if I find a fix.

After doing a quick search on Google here are some of the possible solutions:

- Turn the monitor off and on to refresh the connection.
- Boot into safe mode and uninstall the graphics drivers.
- Try a new graphics card if possible.

that's about all I have found right now.

...onto my acer netbook (1.6ghz atom, 1GB ram, 160GB HDD)...

Seeing as though you have a netbook, I would try the graphics driver, or maybe the chipset driver. I dont think you would be able to swap the graphics card out or turn the monitor off and on... :p

AVG installed?

I'm running Win 7 RC1 a netbook, and had the same exact issue. For me, it turned out to be AVG antivirus. I didn't experience the same black screen w/ cursor lag when I had AVG installed with XP, so I didn't suspect it right away. I uninstalled AVG Free and installed Avast Free, and now it runs like a dream.

Back