Windows 7 Black screen with windows 7 evaluation copy build 7100 when trying to finalize instal

thiefcore

So I've tried with two different copies of Windows 7, 7077 and 7100, and it says finalizing installation, then restarts. Then it comes to this black screen and doesn't move.

DSC01203.jpg

I'm not sure what to do from here. I've tried formatting and reinstalling. This is a new computer I've built and no previous operating system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

So I've tried with two different copies of Windows 7, 7077 and 7100, and it says finalizing installation, then restarts. Then it comes to this black screen and doesn't move.

DSC01203.jpg

I'm not sure what to do from here. I've tried formatting and reinstalling. This is a new computer I've built and no previous operating system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This looks horrible!

Seriously speaking, if you really want us to say any more than that , tell us what hardware you used to build the system such as the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video card ( if it is not integrated with the MoBo) with the EXACT Make and Model of the components.
Normally before you reach the desktop after full System installation, you should get a prompt to check your screen resolution,did you get that ? After the Screen Froze and computer became unresponsive to Mouse/KBD commands, did you try to "Force Reboot" using the Computer case's On/Off switch to see if the system will boot back to Windows desktop? Based on just the image , I belive it has a Videocard or RAM issue but that is a wild guess.
My next step will be to safe mode and uninstall Video device but that is again without any data from you.

WD Caviar Green 500GB 16MB/SATA-3G

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H AMD780G mATX AM2+/AM3 PCI-E DDR2 SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN HDMI Motherboard

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.2GHZ 4MB 95W Socket AM2+ OEM

and a geforce 8500gt video card. the ram is just some pc2-5300 2x1gb sticks. It only got to installing registry values then says it has to restart, and I get stuck on that black screen. I never make it to the desktop. I tried forcing reboot, I didn't get a prompt for screen resolution, and it never goes to desktop, just that screen. I'm ready to send all the computer parts back, haha.

WD Caviar Green 500GB 16MB/SATA-3G

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H AMD780G mATX AM2+/AM3 PCI-E DDR2 SATA2 Video Sound GBLAN HDMI Motherboard

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.2GHZ 4MB 95W Socket AM2+ OEM

and a geforce 8500gt video card. the ram is just some pc2-5300 2x1gb sticks. It only got to installing registry values then says it has to restart, and I get stuck on that black screen. I never make it to the desktop. I tried forcing reboot, I didn't get a prompt for screen resolution, and it never goes to desktop, just that screen. I'm ready to send all the computer parts back, haha.
In have not used this board but would have chosen this micro ATX board for a small box because it is X64 and has 16GB Max Ram capability . The MoBo and the Processor seem to me to be decent choice for a not too expensive rig. I have not heard any bad press about them. But I don't know why Newegg had deactivated this board!

If you are not too disspirited and fatigued already, you may reboot to Safe mode > pressing F8 and then see if it will look decent on that desktop. That will tell some driver issue. If it has still problm, shut down , decable, open the case, reseat RAMs and if you had any doubt about your placement of CPU and Heatsink the last time, Unplug the MoBo Power Connector(s), remove, re-grease, and replace the CPU and Heatsink and fan assembly making sure the CPU Fan is properly hooked to the right connector. Clear the CMOS jumper for 5 seconds and put it back on default , Connect MoB PWR Connector (s) leave the case open for now, recable , Power ON . Access the BIOS setup and check date and Time, the HDDs, CD/DVDs, RAM etc are all in proper order , make the boot order to have CD/DVD before HDD, and Load Optimized Defaults , Save and Exit and boot the Windows 7 DVD and try a reinstall before RMA is considered. How does this sound to you? If I can be of any asistance please post your progress or lack there of for any inputs. Good luck.:)

I'm running a Gigabyte mobo like you. You mentioned that your using an 8600 video card. That board comes with ATI 3200 onboard video card, are you sure it's disabled?
Try removing the 8600 to rule out the potential of a video card conflict!

It shows the build number on the bottom, so I am sure we can rule out a non-working hardware issue.

Sorry... I can't offer any more advice than that. I don't know if anyone else noticed that or not, though.

quick edit: is it just me, or is that "evaluation" tag way too far down the screen? It normally sits above the task bar. What are the chances the monitor is not correctly adjusted, and it is just simply hiding the start menu? Have you tried hitting the "windows" button on your keyboard to see if anything may pop up into the screen?

Hello, i had exact same problem with 7000 build. I was using a SyncMaster914v monitor. I finally unhooked from that monitor and connected to a crt and it continued install and let me completely set up beta. When i connected back it still got stuck on
black screen. I finally booted into the screen that gives you choices for safe mode etc by tapping f8 on reboot and booted it up with VGA enabled mode and it booted up. i then downloaded driver for monitor and installed and when i rebooted it worked. Hope if you try it helps you out.

Hello, i had exact same problem with 7000 build. I was using a SyncMaster914v monitor. I finally unhooked from that monitor and connected to a crt and it continued install and let me completely set up beta. When i connected back it still got stuck on
black screen. I finally booted into the screen that gives you choices for safe mode etc by tapping f8 on reboot and booted it up with VGA enabled mode and it booted up. i then downloaded driver for monitor and installed and when i rebooted it worked. Hope if you try it helps you out.

EXACTLY:). Thank you for posting the final steps in Safe Mode troubleshoot to "cure" the black screens at startup caused by Video Adapter/Monitor driver issues.

yeah its definitely monitor/video card related. I had the same problem when I tried to install. I had two monitors plugged into my card and as soon as I unplugged one of them (even though only one of them was on at the time) the black screen went away and I could continue with the install.

Two monitors

Windows 7 will default to a hdmi tv if you have one hooked up. It happened to me and I installed it the second ti,e and it did the same thing. I findley went to the Sharp tv and there it was, the fix was go into the Nvidia controal pannel and set the default monitor. It was operator error. I installed the RC 7100 and it has never worked better. It installed the printer and configured the network all by itself, PS3, Directv wirless, and two computers. I can see them all on boath computers. :p

Thomas :cool:

Windows 7 will default to a hdmi tv if you have one hooked up. It happened to me and I installed it the second ti,e and it did the same thing. I findley went to the Sharp tv and there it was, the fix was go into the Nvidia controal pannel and set the default monitor. It was operator error. I installed the RC 7100 and it has never worked better. It installed the printer and configured the network all by itself, PS3, Directv wirless, and two computers. I can see them all on boath computers. :p

Thomas :cool:

Another fine example of the shear brillance behind Windows 7! :) Windows 8 has alot to beat and we're only in the RC stages of 7.. ;)

I had an Issue Like this with and upgrade of Vista Ult, after the upgrade process finished I'd get a Black Blank screen, a mouse and Crt+Alt+Del would give me task manager- I ran msconfig disabled all non microsoft services at start up and reenabled one by one till I found the one that killed explorer.exe which was Process Monitor from logitech - now I'm running smoothly

yeah its definitely monitor/video card related. I had the same problem when I tried to install. I had two monitors plugged into my card and as soon as I unplugged one of them (even though only one of them was on at the time) the black screen went away and I could continue with the install.

This also fixed my installation issue. I had the same result, black screen with "Evaluation copy. Build 7100" in the bottom right corner (Installing RC1). Unplugged the second monitor and continued on with the install.

After allowing the system to do its "First Windows start up" and loading updates, I reconnected the monitor and dual monitor support work fine. Though they where reversed as far as main and secondary, of course. Easy enough to fix in settings.

what kind of monitors would do this, just curious to know, I had no problems with either on of mine, I just want to know for future reference...

what kind of monitors would do this, just curious to know, I had no problems with either on of mine, I just want to know for future reference...

I use an LG W2452 (24") and Dell E176FP (19"). It was the dell I disconnected. Suppose I could try reloading with just the Dell to see if there is a difference, though I am having too much fun exploring at the moment. :)

Brett

1) unplug your second display (DVI or HDMI)
2) turn on the second display (TV or projector) and continue the installation

Joc

Back